1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs I can quit the Internet anytime I want – just not today

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 6 Aug 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Tris

Tris New Member

I don't think dependance on a tool is an addiction - as you say its a primary mode of communication and entertainment. You wouldn't say that someone who is used to using a car as their primary transportation method is an addict if they miss it when it breaks down.

3. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

I guess it's nothing to worry about, life HAS changed.
    My bank, gas, electricity, insurance and phone company don't communicate any other way than online.
    If you don't check the web at least weekly...well you might really miss something. Just like the way you have someone sort out the important mail when you're on a long trip.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

as Xir said, it's the modern life style.

if you are not online, you are not living in 2009.

im also addicted to be connected. whenever i go, i check for free wi-fi (don't want to pay for mobile internet). at university, i am constantly connected through wi-fi and hopefully soon can be tracked via Google Latitude when a jailbreak background updater comes out.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I can identify with your addiction Harry, I'm terrible for it...

6. mjm25

mjm25 New Member

well the first stage is admitting you have a problem... now you can not do anything about it!

7. Teknokid

Teknokid Well-Known Member

Im exactly the same, Im going away to italy for two and a half weeks this weekend and I dare say one of the first things Ill do when I get there is look for a wifi network that I can get my paws into...

Atleast its not an unhealthy addiction.. like heroin.

8. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

The tax break? :p

9. Rapp

Rapp Member

10. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish New Member

I can fully understand that :)

I Know i'm hopelessly addicted to not so much the internet itself, but the information it contains.

On my last holiday (North Wales this June) i distinctly remember getting odd looks exclaiming when i noticed my PDA phone picking up one of the highly rare north wales 3G areas*

Back at the flat we rented at the seafront: setting up my phone running as a wi-fi access point on the top floor as it was the only place that got signal (and at that, 2/5 bars GPRS-only signal) and surfing news sites with my laptop at a mighty 2kb/sec speed.

*when i did, i almost exclusively used the time to update the google maps local-cache data for my GPS app at appropriate zoom levels in the area, as that was very bandwidth-hungry (news sites aren't)

11. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Its not an addiction if you genuinely need it........ :D

I was out of town for 5 days at the beginning of may and it wasn't until last week that I learned that Dom Deluise had died while I was gone.

See? Step away for just a few and the world goes down the tubes.

12. NethLyn

NethLyn Member

When I went on holiday (to Canada as well, popular place) I had to make sure the friend that I was staying with, had accessible internet. It's commonsense to check your bank balance so that you don't go overdrawn in a non-UK currency, not to mention seeing what's on where you actually are - a guidebook might have been printed six months ago and be out of date by the time you go there.

It's not perfect for everything (stupid online Oyster updates still "roll over" at midnight before they become active, or require activation at the station after you've paid) but it's just a part of life now and for me the broadband bill is the next most important after the electricity to power the computer in the first place.

13. Byron C

Byron C Probably isn't Hitler, but definitely a muppet

Damn you. I'm addicted to reading hard luck stories on FML now!

Tags: Add Tags