1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays I cant decide on which 24" LED monitor to go for

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaseuk, 3 Oct 2011.

1. jaseuk

jaseuk What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,
    I am looking at getting two 24" LED monitors but I cant decide which one's to go for. I am currently using a 24" Dell 2407WFP which is absolutely flawless and has served me well. I also have a second 19" Dell 1907.

If someone could spec me a couple of decent monitors, preferably no more than £200.00 per monitor.

One's I have looked at so far are: -
    Asus VS247H
    Iiyama Prolite E2473HDS
    Iiyama Prolite B2475HDS
    Viewsonic VA2448

I'm a gamer so ideally it needs to be suited for that purpose please

cheers

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The Dell 2407WFP uses an IPS panel if I am not mistaken (or a PVA, I don't know for sure).
    The monitor that you are looking at are TN panel crap. That is like driving a Proche, and go.. I love my Porche, but I am looking for a new car... I am thinking of buying a Lada. What do you think?

Please read my post here, to understand the different panel technologies, and this "LED monitors" claims, which is nothing more than horrible (in most cases) backlight technology.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2776290&postcount=13

For something of an upgrade, or similar, the Dell U2410 would be your option.
    The U2410 is an IPS panel, same great view angle. But what it has more, is that:
    -> You can plug your gaming console to it, or about anything really, thanks to all the inputs one can ask for minus a TV-Tuner
    -> It's a true 8-bit color panel, meaning you will get stunning colors (hence the high price tag)
    -> It's response time is phenomenal (for an IPS panel), and beats even some TN panels. Really fast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -> Comes with 2 selectable pre-calibrated color profiles: Adobe RGB and sRGB. Pick one of them, and games will looks really awesome.
    -> Boost the performance of your monitor, by turning on "Game" Mode, which turns off the color processor, and allows a reduce input lag time, coming at the performance of TN panels more or less.
    -> The monitor is also 16:10, which is what you have now, so you have plenty of work space added. Resolution of the monitor is 1920x1200.

Check it out. Very impressive monitor, and worth every penny, despite the price tag.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2011
  3. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I agree with the above. Get an IPS panel dude, they may not have a 120Hz refresh rate, but they sure as hell do look a lot better than TN panel monitors. When comparing my old TN monitor with my new IPS panel monitor I was blown away by how much better it looked.

4. jaseuk

jaseuk What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies guys, glad I asked :p

The U2410 is very expensive though so i have been looking at the Dell U2412M which is a lot cheaper and also uses an IPS panel

What do you think?

5. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

6. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Couple of reviews can be found Here and Here

7. jaseuk

jaseuk What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the links.

The Dell U2412M is a stunning monitor however its not ideal for gaming and has slower response time than my 2407.

I do like the fact I can simply place it next to my 2407WFP and it has the same 1920x1200 resolution.

Or do I look around and get two monitors that are more suited for gaming?

I am not sure what to do

8. GoodBytes

The U2412M is a lower-end monitor to the U2410.
    It's like what you have, but with high grade white LED's, instead of a high grade CFL (which you have in your monitor). A high grade CFL is better than high grade white LED's. Of course high grade whites LED's are better than standard CFL lamp.

The U2412M uses a 6-bit color panel, while U2410 is an 8-bit panel. That is one of the main reason for the high price. You can see the same jump in price if you look at the U2711. The price jump is mostly due to the true 10-bit color panel used.

Most "gaming" (read: TN panel), are using cheap components, so cheap white LED's. Ones that are more blue or yellow, than anything. You can find youtube videos that shows this. Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw0acUxMaKo

I think that the U2412M is essentially will be the same as yours. A bit better blacks, and faster than what you have now.. but I don't think it will be any large upgrade.

9. healthhazad

healthhazad What's a Dremel?

Currently in the same boat.... the Dell U2410 sounds like the one from what GoodBytes is saying and having searched around on here he knows his stuff!

Now to just bite the bullet and purchase (once I figure out if I can afford)!

10. healthhazad

Actually while I'm here...

GoodBytes - I use my PC for quite a lot but gaming is certainly high up there on the list.

I am someone who notices flicker and motion blur. I've tried to read everything on this forum to do with the Dell U2410 but it would be nice to get a bit more info on how it handles rapid gaming from somebody who owns one.

Obviously everything in life is subjective and if there was a store nearby that I could go and try one out in then I would do that.

11. GoodBytes

Well I have the U2410, and while I am no pro gamer in FPS, I play all kind of genre... RPGs, Action games, Racing, Simulation (SimCity/CitiesXL for examples), FPS (Modern Warfare, TF2, etc.), I also watch all kind of movies. I come directly from a CRT.

Remember also that response time claims from manufacture are measured completely differently from one manufacture to another, and even between models. I experience so call "2ms" response time, and they felt to me like 15 ms. Very disappointing results. Yet, my U2410, as you can see from the picture above from TFTCentral measurements, despite saying 6ms, it's fast. They are faster TN panels around, of course, but it's still impressive.

To be honest, what I particularly like about the U2410, is it's good balance between gaming, work, all by providing the kick-ass colors, for non-professional work. The inputs are a nice addition, I plug now my Wii via component, my laptop via Display port (I use a software to use my desktop keyboard and mouse to control my laptop: Microsoft Mouse Without Borders (free)), and I use composite, to plug in my VCR which I use as a analogue TV tuner (avoid purchasing mediocre ~100$ TV Tuners) I have HDMI for my next gaming console, or when a friend comes with his PS3 or something. Second DVI and the VGA port, I use it when I fix a computer for some one.

The thing that MIGHT cause you a potential problem with the U2410, but that hold true for most IPS panels on desktop monitor, is the input lag due to the color processor. The U2410 (but not the U2412M), has Game mode, which turns off the color processor to reduce input lag. It's still a hint slower than "gamer TN panels", but it's in the range of good figures. Input lag is difficult to measure, but I saw results from anywhere from ~15ms at best, to ~30ms at worst. For me, I play games under Adobe RGB color mode (what I am about to say also applies to sRGB color mode), and I don't see any problem when I play TF2 or COD MW series. HOWEVER, I am no playing TF2 or any FPS games competitively. I am playing for fun. I die a lot. I also don't have a gamer keyboard and gamer mouse.. but I do have proper keyb/mouse of high quality (check reviews of you don't believe me), I use the Logitech Illuminated keyboard (despite it's looks, it's put to shame laptop keyboards), and the Logitech MX Revolution (while claimed to be 800DPI only, comparing with 1500DPI, I see no difference, probably due that Logitech didn't lie to stretch their figures on the MX Rev sensor, because it's a really good one. I am guessing here). I also have the Performance MX, which features a 1000DPI mouse, and I don't see a difference.

If there is something you want to see or me to try, name it, and I'll see what I can do.
    I also get a lot of feedback from people on this forum after their purchase.

If you are able to see flicker, then LED back light isn't for you. CCFL back light, well the high grade ones, uses a good quality phosphor which avoid flickering. The phosphor absorb light and release is slowly, providing at the end, a smooth light as it able to output light white the lamp is about to start it's nice cycle, where it turns off and back on. You might remember in the old days of CRT, why you had 85Hz CRT's that flickered a lot, and some looks super nice, steady, 0 flicker image. Well it had to do with the phosphor used in the CRT tube. low quality ones, made the CRT flicker like crazy, high quality ones, solved the flickering problem.

LED's don't have any of this, so, like probably me, you can see flickering (I see is on my laptop screen, which feature white LED's)

12. healthhazad

Thanks for the quick response.

I do like the wide selection of inputs, its always helpful to have options like that.

My usage tends to break down to some photo editing/video, work (nothing fancy just lots of VMs and stuff like that. Also mouse without borders is a great bit of software).

Gaming wise I play pretty much something of everything but I do enjoy my CS/TF2/L4D etc.

I'm not a pro gamer but I'm pretty decent I would say and used to a screen that doesn't lag.

I currently have my old 17" CRT and to be honest if I could magically grow it to the Dell size...

I'm going to try ringing/e-mailing retailers in the area to see if any of them have this model and would let me demo it in store. I doubt it but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Do you find the U2410 flickers? Also do you have like a top 3 pros and cons for the monitor?

I will try and think up a better listing of 'could you/does it' as at the moment I'm fighting off tiredness. I just want to make sure that before I go spending a big chunk of money I've worked to save up, I know the item is right for me.

Nothing like asking a person who has it first :)

Thanks for your help and feedback, it is very much appreciated.

13. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

I managed to grab a u2410 from eBay for just £140 when nobody was looking. worth checking out if you don't mind used screens.

14. yassarikhan786

I wouldn't buy used monitor's but £140 is a smashing deal. I can confirm that the U2410 is very fast and I have not experienced any performance issues in any game so far including FPS'.

I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as GoodBytes regarding monitos, but I can give an honest perspective:

Pros:
    Colours are Fantastic.
    Contrast is Brilliant (Deep Blacks, etc).
    Everything looks very sharp.
    Brilliant brightness levels.
    Response time seems very fast (no ghosting issues).
    A wide range of connectivity options.
    Fantastic build quality.
    Screen can be rotated and moved horizontally (tilt) and vertically (height adjustment).

Cons.

The touch sensitive controls (although not a big problem).
    Takes slightly longer to display the picture compared to my old monitor.
    Can get quite warm (but this is dependent on the brightness - I have mine set to 30% and it is still very bright and it stays relatively cool)

So you can see that the Pros greatly outweigh the Cons and it is a fantastic piece of kit all round.

15. GoodBytes

Just to say, I have no issue on my side. real buttons is always better. But based on me playing with friends (and one from my brother) LG and Samsung monitors, the Dell one is the best. Of course, I just tasted 3 models... sooo it doesn't say a lot. It is nice to not have visible buttons.

Ah that is because it scans all the inputs, and also part of the time it boots up it self, due to the color processor. It's not a time consuming procedure, just maybe 1 or 2 sec more from a "normal" monitor, if you get what I mean. I would suggest to leave the monitor into stand by for immediate wake up when the computer comes out of sleep, or off state, or idle, and not close it, if it is a problem. Beside, because the monitor USB hub is powered, if you are recharging something, if the monitor is off, the USB device won't get charged.

Yup. Bigger the monitors, the more CFL lamps you have, the warmer it gets for the same brightness level. But I have to mention that the U2410 (well also the U2711, U3011, and the now discontinued U2311H), the brightness is REALLY high. At 50%, you can have the sun in your room and you see the screen, but at night, it's too bright. And any setting over that, it makes you blind. So 30% is perfect. Heck even 0% is pretty bright to be honest (for a 0% level).

So you can see that the Pros greatly outweigh the Cons and it is a fantastic piece of kit all round.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: 4 Oct 2011
  16. yassarikhan786

The touch sensitive controls are not a problem, I just like real buttons more, and they are not a con if I'm being fair.

^^Thanks for the extra information dude :).

17. GoodBytes

I corrected my post, I was missing words. (morning, what do you want. :))

18. healthhazad

Thanks again for the comments guys.

I had heard that the monitor had a slightly longer 'boot' shall we say but yes that is understandable and tbh not usually a problem.

Do you find that you have to go into the OSD and alter settings on a frequent basis? Perhaps brightness?

I have noticed that in pretty much all my games I have to ramp up the in game brightness option to full and even then it isn't enough on many occasions. I have a feeling it may be because TFT screens don't do black as well as my CRT but I could be totally wrong.

The heat issue isn't all bad... that with my PC cuts out the need to heat this room lol.

I am so tempted its just a case of sitting down and working out how much of a sting the price will be for me in my current situation. I could probably afford it but it leaves me with little 'oh noes' cash to deal with anything unexpected.

Anyway thats of little concern to everyone else :)

One other thing that springs to mind is should I watch out for any particular revision? I know over time changes are made and new revisions are released under the same model name.

19. GoodBytes

Exactly. It's not a like a computer boot, or cellphone boot or something like that. it's just like 1-2 sec more. And that is IF your turn it off/on

Nope. Early spring I do, but that is because the tree out of window doesn't have leafs and I got the sun full power hitting my screen... so just for a few weeks I need to adjust between 50% and 30% the brightness. 50% from morning to noon, and 30% the rest of the day.
    When I am lazy and not doing critical work, I just leave it at 30%. You can see fine enough, or close your blinds a bit (I got window drapes).

The Dell OSD menu is KICK-ASS (on the U series monitors). SUPER easy to use, and very well organized.

No need (using Adobe RGB color profile).

LOL! That's what I call efficient deisgn...

Don't kill your self for the monitor. Get in later in months to come if it means being able to save additional funds.

Be sure to know your retail store return policies, just in the case you are not happy with it. I know that Dell pays return shipping for you, and you can avoid restock fees (well in Canada at least), if you are nice on the phone with customer service, and properly explain how this monitor doesn't fit your needs. But I know in the U.K, Dell monitor are apparently made in solid gold, based on the price compared to Canada.

As long as you don't have revision A00, you are perfectly fine. A00 (expect late A00, but why take the chance) is plagued LG manufacture problems, from: back light bleeding problems, to a visible green/pink tint on the monitor at angle, to other issues. This was a dark days for almost all LG IPS panels being produced. The U2410 was very popular at release, so there was a lot of buyers, and a lot of complaints. So if you check user reviews, be sure to check the dates. Revision A01 (the "everything is fixed" revision) was available for over a year now... I think Dell is at A04 or A05 now. So the chances to get A00, is nearly impossible.

20. jaseuk

jaseuk What's a Dremel?

Thats a nice find, lucky you

<----- heads off to scour ebay ;)