1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i got a new VGA cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Froggy, 9 Jul 2003.

1. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

not sure to put this here or under cooling. anyway i got a thermaltake GIANT II VGA cooler for my Radeon 9700 pro. i will post pics of it to show you when im done installing. i will shutdown now and hopefuly be back up within the hour with everything running. and i will post my overclocking scores to.

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

HELP!!! how do i remove the old thermal paste on the core? its old, hard and yellow. i dont want to damage the core.

3. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

ok i finished installing it and it seems to be working. i will benchmark and stuff after letting it run overnight.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

I used a screw driver to remove the gunk off my GF3 :clap:

5. Sid

Sid Banned

Then it slips horribly and scrapes its way accross the card knocking off capacitors, damaging memory and everything in it's path :lol:

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

that's why I always scraped down towards the PCI slot :p:dremel:

7. Amorphus

Amorphus What's a Dremel?

mind you, ATi's GPU cores are exposed, as opposed to nVidia's method of encasing them in plastic and copper. so his advice = muy bad.

the yellow gunk - Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol (use stuff that's over 90% alcophol by volume)

8. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

i tryed the q-tip with 70% becuase that was the best i had and it didnt work. i some kind of non somthing nailpolish remover and it worked mostly. i got 95% of the old thermal paste off. the rest was so stuborn i decided to leave it because i didnt want to damage the R300 core. i havent tested anything yet but so far its running great. the fan on it has a irritating noise. its not loud but the pitch is holible. i took photos of the modding process and i will upload them somehow tormorow.