1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got a question for you Brits.....

Discussion in 'General' started by Kargin, 18 Nov 2002.

1. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Noooo stop I STILL havent eaten!!

Gah :waah:

2. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

all i can say is:

jam
    jelly
    jello

whats up with that?

and i have found that in cardiff, there are no decent chippies to be found. they all suck :rolleyes:

3. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Wow this thread kinda exploded......

:hehe:

Yeah I'm actually Canadian, (eh?) and was wondering about it, cuz I'm not some kind of crazy patriot shoving my arm down everyone's throught. I know I kinda hate it right where I live, there aren't any good import stores around me......... Nor are there very many good cars either :waah:

Also Tommeh, What's the problem with those three? Jam and jelly are used mostly for bread/toast style of uses (although they can make a nice snack on their own :naughty: ) jam is a thinner chunky fruit bit spread while jelly is a smooth thicker fruit spread.

Jello as we all know is that crazy powder that when mixed with water and sugar and put inot th efridge hardens into springy snackage. Although I don't like Jello... It tastes rotten to me.....

:clap: All while listening to J-pop.... Talk about culture overflow....:rock:

4. quack

quack Minimodder

Jello is known as Jelly in the UK ;) Hence confusion.

5. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

In england we call Jello Jelly.

We also use Jelly for some fruit preserves, which you'd likely eat with meat, eg Cranberry jelly with turkey, Redcurrant Jelly with Lamb, etc.

Confusingly enough, some places use "Jellies" to mean soft sweets, like wine gums....

6. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

and we just have jam.

and jello/jelly in the uk is made out of blocks of gelotine and is usually a wobbly desert at childrens parties(or in ur student flat when u get really bored and your room mates are insane ;))

7. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Once again.... I was owned....

(there you go eddie, a new one for ya :p)

I see now..... Yeah I use jellies sometimes or see it often on packages here..........

Yeah you see, we're north american, we have to have sixteen different things all be the same in order to please the consumer market :p

That way the average person can go buy their jam and be done, while all the posh heads can go and pick out their "imported" jelly that came from a diferent state/province :naughty:

I'm sorry but I kinda dislike my society.......

8. quack

quack Minimodder

Jelly (the Jello stuff) is fun to mix vodka with, only time I'll ever have any... normally it makes me feel sick (then again after a couple hundred vodka jellies most people start to feel sick anyway :p)

9. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

!= (not equals)

just thought you might want to know that.

anyhow, you yanks call things wierdly too.... soda, for example...I don't get them...

but damn oreos are freaking great...

10. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

I guess that's a states one.. Everyone I know up here in igloo territory calls it pop............

But then again some americans call their Dad pop, like your going to pop his head off and have a refreshing drink :naughty: Blood isn't that refreshing... Although it is yummy.

:D

11. quack

quack Minimodder

AFAIK depending on which state you come from, (and probably differing between counties too) you either know it as soda or pop.

Personally I usually use the actual brand name - Pepsi is Pepsi (sometimes I call it Coke too cos I hate Pepsi and I like to annoy people that sell only Pepsi ;)), Coca Cola is Coke, Lilt is Lilt etc. 7up and Sprite can be both be lemonade... but also 7up and Sprite respectively... :p etc etc etc. Store brand colas (like Sainsbury's Classic Cola [probably one of the best imitations IMO]) I just call 'Coke'.

They're all also known as "soft drinks" ;)

All very confusing :lol:

No blood for Duckula... he's a veggie (although I am not). :)

12. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

i just once want to try some koolaid, just for the hell of it.

cant think of too many things we brits have that you yanks/canadians dont. except cadbury's chocolate. mmmmmm bournville.

cheap expensive chocolate.

another question, is thorntons american or just english?

13. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

You don't have koolaid? My kids would live off the stuff if they could.

The US is big enough that you have different dialects all across it. Here in Colorado, I would call a carbonated beverage a soda. In the South, someone might ask you if you want a Coke. You say sure, and they ask what kind? Pepsi, Mt Dew, Coke, Dr Pepper, etc.

I say fart here. In the South, people would truly be insulted by that. They would call it a "poot" or something like that.

Strange.

14. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

stewe: I'm actually in the US, I just didn't feel like putting that in my profile.

Speaking about pop/soda/coke, there was an online poll, most of us in the US probably heard about it on a slow news day (i.e. every goddamn day). Basically, in the West (where I am), pop. East: soda. South: Coke. North: Popsicle, since it's so cold up there.

Tommeh, we have Cadbury Cream Eggs (probably because we're really big on the "blasphemous" celebration of Easter), and now that I think of it, there's this one beer place (exotic beer place) that my dad goes to that has a whole buncha Cadbury stuff from Europe. I'm partial to Flakes on my ice cream. <Homer>Hmmm, ice cream...*gurgle*</Homer>

15. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Never a dull moment in our kitchen with 3 americans trying to learn the 'british' way of doing things.

A kettle you say :eeek:

16. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

Last time I made vodka-jelly I got a little too greedy. Two packs of lime jelly, 1 part hot-water, 3 parts vodka.

Left it in the fridge for two days... didn't set.

Left in FREEZER for two days... didn't set :eyebrow:

Went out on the razz, returned off my tits, and then drank an entire tupperwe tub (~1.5l) of green 30% vol gloop.

Twas good :D :D :clap:

17. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

:eeek: :eeek:
    I had a bit of experience making jello shooters (as we call them in the colonies) you need to make it with two parts hot water and two parts vodka. The normal recipe for making jello is one cup of hot water and one cup of cold, so I am assuming you are using two boxes of jello. Basically, you are substituting vodka for cold water. Making them this way they will set and have quite a kick. I can't imagine what a 3/1 ratio must have been like... flamable I imagine... :hehe: :rock:

BTW, I heated the water when I used to make these in a pot on the stovetop as we aren't allowed to have kettles here... it's the law! :naughty:

18. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

yeah they're wicked different.... but i'm failing to see the difference between fries & chips... i'd think chips would be more thick slices of potato fried & crisps would be potato chips

19. m00min

m00min What's a Dremel?

bloody americans :sigh:

hehe ;)

20. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Ok... some one of you said the coke covers pepsi mt due and dr pepper... they are all totally different!!! mt dew is more like lemoanadey spritey stuff, but in wierder flavors too i hear... and dr p is wierd and friuty and in no way should it be classed as coke more as dr pepper in it's own right!

but I reaaaallllyyy wish I could get some american drinks and choc over here cheeply... i know of cybercandy (thanks whoever told me) but vanilla coke, mt dew, pepsi twist (now over here!), JOLT, and others like hershey and baby ruth oooooh i want them soooooo