1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other I guess this is the best place for it...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Journeyer, 9 Feb 2015.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

About five years ago we bought a house. This became a necessary Investment when we learned we were expecting twins, but that is another story. Obviously when you own a house there are always things to do with regards to improvements, modifications and so, and a lot of work has been done on and in the house these past five years. Two items, however have intrigued me for these past five years, and as I was painting our hallway this weekend I was once again reminded of how much this bugs me.

So, here's my problem: The house is quite old. It was built in the early sixties, so while most of the house is now "up to date" so to speak, there are still remains from its early life present. Two little boxes - one in the hallway and one just above the door leading to the living room - elude identification. They are obviously Powered (or were at some point in time), but for the life of me I cannot figure out what they are for. I tried opening one of them up, and even trying to find a way to get it off the wall, without any luck. Previous owners have painted over them in thick layers and while I'm sure the boxes could, at some point in time, be opened they can't anymore without doing irrepairable damage to them (something I'd like to avoid in case they serve a useful purpose).

So my question is this: Can the vast repository of knowledge that is the Bit-Tech userbase identify this:

[​IMG]

I suspected that it was a doorbell, but why two? The two boxes are only about two meters apart, only separated by a single door. Also, the original doorbell was mounted just above the entrance door and has been replaced by me with an MP3-model.

2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

/guess
    My first thought is some sort of motion detector linked to an alarm system. The little light hole/dot in the top left and the indent at the bottom could be a painted over "window"/sensor?
    /guess

3. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

Yep - I'd guess the same

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Good call, that'd be my first guess too, although the F.O.V. wouldn't be very wide. Maybe crack out a small knife and scrape some paint off the "window" - if it's translucent plastic then you can be sure.

5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

The thought has crossed my mind as well, but I had written it off due to the age of the house and the limited field of view as Shirty points out below.

I might just have to do that, and then perhaps I can finally have an answer.

The "indentation"/window does have some give if I push on it With my finger. I'll try scraping the paint off later tonight as I get home from work. Also, I'll see if I can trace the wires coming out of the boxes and see where they end up. These are, however the only boxes in the house I've been unable to identify so far, so I Wonder where they hid the control system for them if that is indeed what these things are.

Thanks for our input guys. I'll update you on what I find below the multiple layers of paint.