1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate my dorm hall

Discussion in 'General' started by Colonel Sanders, 7 Feb 2007.

1. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

So about an hour ago, I attended a floor meeting. Due to work, I had never attended the previous meetings, and the RA knew this and he was fine. Anyways, this meeting went pretty bad.

Apparently the bathroom for my hall is the messiest bathroom on the college campus. Someone thinks it is funny to clog the urinal, it's apparently funny to throw toilet paper across the hall, it's apparently even funny to fling feces on the walls in the shower. The people I live with are not smart enough to be humans. BTW, I share my dorm hall with people in fire-science (fire-men in training) and the track team. Total there about 3 (out of 30) decent people in my dorm hall, thats counting the RA as one of those 3.

At this meeting the RA informed us at the dorm management is quite upset because the janitors refuse to clean this hall. The trash can that smells like rotting fish is going to sit for a while. The feces all over the shower is going to remain where it is. The urinal will continue to overflow. What disappoints me the most is how the other idiots just said "who cares, they are janitors, they are supposed to clean up after me!"

So I'm upset. Management is getting ready to start kicking people out. Because they lack cameras in the bathroom everyone is in trouble, possibly even me and no, I don't participate in their stupid acts.

I refuse to associate with the loosers on my hall, I spend as little time as possible in this dorm building. I see no sign of these people's actions changing. The previously mentioned trashcan that smells like rotting fish? It was moved in front of the RA's door less than 10min after the meeting, I mean WTF?? Don't they realize they are on camera right there. . . As of right now the morons are running around screaming like little girls for no reason, I mean not even screaming words just haveing a contest to see who can scream loudest.

I hate my dorm hall.

L J

2. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I'm sorry. I'm lucky to live in a hall that's a bit smaller (only about 20ish people) so it's not as messy. People still do stupid things like refusing to throw their trash away or just dumping everything into the hall. Sounds like you should try and move out, citing the fact that people are making the living conditions unbearable might help get you moved.

3. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Dang, that's gotta suck. I hate my apartment too but that's because I don't have tolerance for roommates anymore after over five years living with people.

I've had to evacuate buildings well over a dozen times because people don't know how to cook, I've had to deal with violent psychos going crazy breaking bottles everywhere, I've had to deal with stuff most people wouldn't believe, but I don't think I've ever been in a place where feces was thrown onto the walls.

Go to the housing authority and request a move to a nearby building? If your parents are helping pay for your housing, request their help to call up and complain about your living conditions.

In a communal living environment, everyone is responsible if nobody accepts sole responsibility. If you see people acting like assholes, call the university police or something. There's a good chance that if these people are going totally nuts, they're under 21 and most likely intoxicated by something.

Seriously though, your best bet might be to request a move. If the housing office doesn't want to comply, you can put a lot of pressure on them.

Take photos of the conditions and head to the housing office. Put them on the table and demand they help you out of there or ask them to improve conditions. If you get a few other people you trust to go with you, they might have to listen.

If you think you're going to lose your wits, forward some photos and a story to the local newspaper. You'll see how quickly things will change if the college gets some bad publicity.

I feel for ya. It's these types of fools that are riding through college on mommy and daddy's dollars that really piss me off to. I hope it gets better for you.

4. Colonel Sanders

Rocket733 - living conditions indeed suck, no doubt about that. However, this place is not un-liveable, and it's close to class and friends. What I need to do is go to a real college where people care about the classes they take. I'm tired of athletes complaining about "intermediate algebra", I need to move to a real college where people can get kicked out and where people have to care about their future. :)

Stuey, you make some good points. I will probbably chat a little with the direct of the housing department, however I don't plan to pester them with this issue, I mean they know that their is a problem. The housing department knows me well (had to visit them a few times when I had the room-mate from hell) and the RA nows me well (I'm his neighbor) so I'm assuming I'm fairly safe.

What annoys me is most of these people are on sports scholarships (the states money). Time to tell about my first room-mate, he was a guy from a small town in Kansas, it was his 3rd semester as a freshman. He flunked out of a state university, flunked out of another 4-year and then flunked out of my community college. He was amazingly lazy - I was in 1 class with him and he only made it the 1st days class, then he proceeded to skip class for the rest of the semester. After thanksgiving break he never returned to the room, and the room became mine. He was also riding through college on his parents money- I remember he was always calling them asking for more money. . .

This year I started with a room-mate, he actually wasn't all that bad, but an opening came up for me to get a single room so I took it, and got stuck in hell. :sigh:

L J

Last edited: 7 Feb 2007
  5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I thought I had a bad first year with rats.
    We have to clean our halls over here (apart from the corridors) but I lived in a Uni house with four others in my first year.

They refused to clean anything until they had nothing to eat off. So every week I'd come home from work at about 3am (bar work) and spend another 2 hours cleaning everything because I cannot stand that level of dirt, I'm not OCD, I've just been bought up well. When I asked them why they refused to clean up they blocked me front the internet (change of WEP key) which I thought pathetic.

Then they woke me up one morning at 6am because the mouse traps they had been forced to lay by the University site management had gone off and they were screaming (like girls) whilst setting up a webcam to record this rat which had not even died. It had broken its back but it was still trying to escape so I came down (wearing nothing but socks) grabbed the door wedge, killed it and dropped it in the bin then went back to bed.

They then had a go at me for not emptying the bin because of the rat!

6. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross What's a Dremel?

Bloody hell. Just reading through your posts is making me think, just how can people be so retarded?!

I don't go to Uni so I wouldn't know, but I wouldn't mind the odd gag now at then. But some of the above stuff is just plain wrong. Who the hell would pick up their own sh@* and chuck it against the wall!?!

I hope those people fail their courses miserably, end up living in an extremely grotty flat, and work full time for McDonalds for the rest of their life.

7. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

Apart from what you said DougEdey, the UK seems to have it so much better than the US.. I'm living in a really nice student appartment at the moment, ok so it's costing £79 a week, quite a bit for a student, but I only share a kitchen and lounge with 3 others. It came with a dishwasher and widescreen TV which makes for some decent nights of all out carnage on the 360! :p But almost all the other halls of res at UCLan (University fo Central Lancashire) have en-suite, i can only think of 3 out of about 12 that dont...

8. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

I'm in a shared bathroom flat with 5 other people at Uclan. When I came back after the christmas holidays, the toliet was blocked because someone thought it was funny to shove 2 bogs rolls down it but to make it even worse, someone took a dump in the blocked toliet and covered it up - sick. One of the girls told me that the others had been urinating in the shower yet there is another toliet to use. :blah: . There were about 3 black bags in the hallway, one bag split and some goo on the floor. I contacted maintence to sort the toliet out because the smell was awful and made the whole flat smell, and when one of the maintenace workers were un-blocking it, he started to gag and had to take a break. But all is sorted now, 4 people in the flat got notices and given bills for the damage caused. No more mess anymore :p

9. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

Halls are always bad, i lived in a hall of 800 people in my first year and at some point pretty much everything that could go wrong did, i'll try and list them

inedible food (often rotten)
    rats
    fire hose flooding corridor/kitchen (accidental and deliberate)
    nightly fire alarms
    frequent break-ins
    kitchen setting on fire
    fuse box setting on fire
    evacuation for 3 days
    doors falling down
    leaking sinks above flooding room (problem never fixed)
    constantly blocked toilets
    broken showers
    blocked toilet above ours flooding our bathrooms
    feces on the walls
    broken glass everywhere
    not to mention noisy neighbours and nightly parties even before exams

so don't worry mate, your not alone

10. Colonel Sanders

Damn, I'm glad I'm not at your college. By the way, you say your hall had 800, I'll assume you meant the whole building? When I say my hall I mean only 1 hallway, in total there are probbably about 500 dorm residents at my college (thats a pretty random, sorta educated guess).

Em, why did you have to evacuate the for 3 days?

L J

11. RTT

RTT #parp

I guess i'm one of the lucky ones then :worried: my experience in halls/dorms was awesome with exception to the fire alarms, but that didn't happen all that often tbh

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I've heard of some immature 13 year olds putting **** on the walls but grown up men?

13. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

Whitendale? :p I was in Moor Lane in my first year. Warehouse now.. :p

14. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

To be honest, I've never had to capture or kill a rat either and might have freaked out too.

Last year in upstate NY and now in NJ, I spend more than that and get a lot less although in a lot of less costly regions, that amount of money would get a two bedroom apartment.

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

It's not something I expect semi-grown (18-19) year old males to do.

16. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

Nope, Ribble Hall - Next to the Brook building.

17. TheoGeo

due to the thing listed directly above it, the electrical fire took 3 days to fix and they wouldn't allow us to stay there with no power (not to mention the burned out room down the corridor).

btw the 800 people were split into 5 blocks, each block was 4 floors and everyone in the block could access all the corridors. 12 people on my corridor.

btw, for anyone looking to go to sheffield uni, that was ranmoor house

18. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

so wtf did you do for 3 days?

:confused: :blush: :worried:

19. TheoGeo

slept on my m8s floor

20. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

i have to say, my current experience pales in comparison to yours. im currently living with 4 other people, i have to share 2 bathrooms and a kitchen with them.
    i thought this was hellish, never being able to use the kitchen cos of mess and people refusing to share chores/food, but i guess its not that bad really.

what kinda rates do you guys pay for halls in the uk? i have to pay about £68 a week according to the booklet, they bill everyone £375 a month, which i think is rather bad seeing as the house me and my mates found is £60 a week excluding bills, this is in bristol by the way.
    how does this compare to other places?