1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate Sketchup, but love...

Discussion in 'Software' started by craigbru, 17 Sep 2008.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

ViaCAD. Yep, I really do. I've been using programs like AutoSketch, and AutoCAD for years, and really wanted to get into Sketchup for throwing mod ideas together quickly. What I found instead was a program that seemed counter-intuitive to what I was used to. Maybe I just didn't give it a chance, but I just couldn't get into it. Alignment was a pain, and... is there even a proper grid option?

So, that brings me to ViaCAD. I've used Punch's AS4000 home design software for a few years, and I got an email about their ViaCAD product since I'm on their mailing list. I initially blew it off, until I looked a little closer and saw that it had quite a bit of potential. One of it's biggest strengths seemed to be it's import and export options, which were compatible with most AutoCAD files... and yes, even Sketchup! I downloaded the trial, and gave it a shot. Well, I loved it! It seems to be a cross between traditional CAD, and Sketchup. It's a combination that really works for me. Also, the importing of sketch files works flawlessly. In fact, I'll be using it to design my next case exclusively. :thumb:

I know I just wrote sounds like SPAM :duh:, but I just thought I'd pass this info along to any of you that may be interested.

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

*spam reported* haha

Sounds decent, you've peaked my interest.

I too hate the SketchUp environment. After using Autodesk Inventor it seems 'ghetto'.

3. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Lol. Damn spammers...

It's pretty good for the price ($99). I love free programs as much as the next guy, but sometimes the purchase is worth it. This was worth it for me.

Good luck man!

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the only free app i trust is winamp, the rest is either limited or crap. That is unless its listed as open-source.

I too hate sketch-up and i hate the fact that there is a competition devoted to sketchcrap, i dont think it should be software limited in that competition at all.

Love solidworks, dose everything!

5. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

SketchUp is brilliant if you've never used a proper solids-modeling program before. On the other hand, if you learned SolidWorks or Pro/E and then took a look at SketchUp, it won't have fared as well. I use SolidWorks, and SketchUp seems so stubborn and difficult that I struggle to make even basic shapes in it. When I show it to someone who is completely new to 3D modeling, though, it seems much more intuitive to them.

ViaCAD looks like it might sit somewhere in the middle. I'd consider it if I didn't have a student license to SolidWorks already ($90, if you can prove you're a university student).

6. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

$90 through where? Journeyed? For that price, I'd give solidworks a try.

7. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

JourneyEd have it, but only the more expensive version which includes the Cosmos finite element analysis package. I found it at Academic SuperStore for $90. It's more a rental than a purchase, since it's a 2-year license, but that's pretty standard for student editions of software.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

plus consider in two years SW 2010 would be out, and better than current 08, SW plus cosmos costs about £100 for an educational edition. The next level up cost £5000 and offers software support, the top edition is close to £8K.

I currently operate SW Office professional (top one) but got hold of it in the free manor... I will purchase SW09 student edition when its out because i plan to jump to vista soon.

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Me too, sketchup is good if you can't afford a good solid modeling program like solidworks

10. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

Is there anybody that loves Sketchup? :D +1 to those who hate it really... Too... (I don't know how to explain it... :) )

11. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

i love sketchup because it pwns pro desktop (school uses it so i had it free)