1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant I hate Verizon Wireless

Discussion in 'General' started by null_x86, 27 May 2010.

1. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Just going to rant and get it off my chest...

I hate Verizon Wireless with a firey passion. We all know about the previous issues I've had with them. Now they are really making my blood boil. I signed up with AT&T a few days ago, because Verizon is pure suck out here in boonies, and AT&T actually has better coverage and pricing then Verizon. So I got all set up with AT&T, and love them. I call to cancel with Verizon because I have a valid reason to do so, and not be charged a Early Termination Fee (ETF); My Federal Universal Service Charge increased. According to their Customer Agreement it says the following:

Note the underlined part. On top of this, I have a receipt from Verizon that gave a complete outline of my plan, and in that outline it says "Early Termination Fee: $0". So I call Verizon with all this information at my disposal, and talk to the cancellation department. To sum it up, they will not cancel my service without charging me the ETF. Why? They gave me a few different reasons.

1) That the ETF cant be waived because the increase in the Federal Universal Service Charge doesnt cause a "Material Adverse Effect".

They cant tell me what causes a Material Adverse Effect is. They are not in my financial status, and it says nowhere in the Customer Agreement or Terms of Service, or any of the other legal documentation that they have the right to say what a "Material Adverse Effect" is.

2) They cant waive the ETF, because the Federal Universal Service Charge, isnt a charge that they have control over.

Actually it is. In the "Explanation of Charges" document, it clearly says that the Federal Universal Service Charge is a charge implemented by Verizon. Same goes with the Administrative/Regulatory charge. The retention reps I spoke with denied this.

3) After acknowledging that the Federal Universal Service Charge is a charge imposed by Verizon, they offer to credit it.

For one, this contradicts Reason #2. For two, nowhere in the Customer Agreement, Terms of Service or any other legal document, does it say that Verizon can offer me a credit to negate the effects of the Federal Universal Service Charge.

4) After trying the above 3 reasons, they tell me that when I signed up wth Verizon, I knew at the time, that the charge could change at anytime, and therefore I cant cancel with the ETF being waived.

On the Explanation of Charges paragraph on every bill that I receive, in the same paragraph where it says the Federal Universal Service Charge and Admin./Reg. Charge are charges imposed by Verizon, it says that the charges are subject to change. So, yes I agreed to them being subject to change. Because they change it gives me an opportunity when they change to leave Verizon whenever I want.

I spent about 3 hours on the phone with 4 different reps trying to explain this but they are not going to accept their own Customer Agreement clauses. Why? I dont know, I dont care. They kept feeding me some line of how they would discount me and what not, but it makes me come back to the fact that they cant credit me to negate something, or to issue a credit to keep me as a customer. So now, that they have lied to my face as usual, I told the last rep I talked with to go ahead and cancel my service. The service is suspended right now, and will terminate on my last billing date of June (25 iirc). Until that happens, I am contacting the Atty. General and the BBB.

Until something comes thru via the BBB or Atty General, I'll be with AT&T.

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

How much is the ETF? If it's like 150$, just eat it and call it a lesson learned TBH, not sure if it's worth the time & stress to deal with it.

You'll most likely have to take them to court over this too, small claims or otherwise.

3. yochaigal

yochaigal New Member

I've been trying to do the same thing the last two days....

So i called up yesterday asking to cancel without paying the $290 ETF.
    I sourced these two paragraphs:

and

But they say that because of this paragraph, I agreed to any changes made to my bill regarding the FUSC.

Which is ludicrous: what if they charged $20 extra one month? I have to agree to it? They say that the FUSC doesn't fall into the 60-day notice requirement. I am currently waiting for a supervisor to call me back, and it has already been well over 24 hours. I have of course called in the meantime about 5 times, but still no word from the original supe that was supposed to call me.

Any suggestions? I've heard on other forums that you can eventually succeed with this strategy.

4. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Starts at $175, then goes down $5 per month.

Its $125. If it was just me, I would eat the charge, but its $125 x 3 lines, plus what ever the final bill is (normally $200/month). You do the math on that.

As far as the lesson learned part, I dont really see what there is to be learned. They are not honoring the contract to which I agreed to, so its they're at fault, not me. As for court, I'm filing with the BBB and Atty. Gen. first, to see if that will get me somewhere. If not, I'll most likely just hop on one of the bandwagon class-action suits against Verizon for not honoring the ETF policies.

5. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

same thing happeneing with me. They say that I agreed to that, I countered with, regardless of if I agreed to ot or not, it says in the "Explanation of Charges" that it is subject to change at times.

Dont bother with callbacks. Unless the callback is coming from Exec Relations or the CEO himself, they are useless and only a means to get you off the phone. Also, they are saying the FUSC isnt in the 60-day req.? Bull! As long as you are calling and taking action before the 60 days is up (between the day you got the bill/notice with the change and day 60 of that notice being sent/received), they have to do it. Call and see if you cant escalate to at least tier 2 customer support. tier 1 (or tier 0 as its called sometimes) does nothing but push promotions and credits which they never honor.

Also, look at the "Our Right to Make Changes" and "Explanation of Charges" paragraphs (Our Rights isnt listed on the online customer agreement, they removed it for newer customers, google it or find your original contract)(Explanation of Charges is on your bill, on the back of the first page).

See if you cant call back and get someone intelligent. If not, contact the Better Business Bureau and your states Attorney General and file complaints with both against Verizon Wireless (not your local store, the head store/office in New Jersey). Im typing up this nice long formal complaint for the BBB and Atty Gen, I'll post it here in a little so you can get a good idea of what to use/expect. Hope this helps!

EDIT: I'll save you some trouble

note the underlined parts

Last edited: 1 Jun 2010
  6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Oh dont get me started either... They are such conniving little a-holes. I wont go into it here.... All I can say is that you have my sympathy - would you like to borrow a few of my guns and wreak havoc at a local store with me? :grr:

7. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Heh, thanks. And as much as I would like to go completely postal on them, I think taking down a few (or all) of their servers is a bit more effective :D. I have to say, Alltel was better before they got bought out. Even with their crappy customer service, they were better then Verizon. I hope they get bought out by some better company or go under (not likely).

8. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

OK... update..

Had a short phone call with Exec Relations, and they just BS'd their way through the phone call, basically quoting legal docs that dont exist. So far havent heard anything back from the BBB about this. About to get a lawyer.