1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a problem with my hard disk!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by windowsjunkie, 13 Sep 2004.

1. windowsjunkie

windowsjunkie What's a Dremel?

I bought a Seagate barracuda 80gb hard disk a little while ago. It ran fine and I partitoned it using partition magic.

The problem is i have 5 partitons, I think 2 of them went bad. When I use msn messenger, every time I try to send someone a file from the bad partition whole pc would either crash or just msn messenger would crash.

I decided to format c: that didnt help, but I can access it ok using explorer. Partition magic always gives an error, I will try to get screen shots of these up later when i get home, but why is this happening?

Other than tht hard disk seems ok.

Edited by Xen0phobiak

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Sep 2004
  2. windowsjunkie

Any help will be appreciated. I'm at college, so I'll be on and off, sorry if I am slow to reply. Also, can I scan the hard disk for errors? I checked the drive using 3 scanners for spyware and viruses, its clean. I used PC-Cillin online thing, and mcafee2004 updated.

Edited by Xen0phobiak

3. tainted

tainted What's a Dremel?

what is your OS and the make of hardware?

4. Carlk

Carlk What's a Dremel?

maybe you should just low level it.... start again and partition it 50/50

5. windowsjunkie

Its a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ATA 100. I'm using XP Pro. I can't format it yet as I have too much stuff that I need to backup like gigs and gigs of music and videos. I probrably need to get a new hard disk to backup to before I can try that. Do you know of any drive checking things though?

Edited by Xen0phobiak

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Tsk, If you can afford it go buy a new harddisk or DVDRW and start backing stuff up asafp. Otherwise you arent in a good situation. Personally i dont really see the need to partition drives, at least, not more than into two.

7. windowsjunkie

Well no, at the moment I can't otherwise I would. You know college and stuff, I've got to buy books so I won't be buying a new one yet. But I'm not sure what I should do, I prefer keeping music, games, documents and stuff seperate so that I know whatt to backup. I normally just backup documents and some of my music.

Edited by Xen0phobiak

8. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

jeez, your post is hard to read! :worried:

9. craig

craig What's a Dremel?

Seagate do a program that you can use to test your hdd for any errors, it maybe worth using this as you can sometimes fix minor errors. i had a similar problem with my 75gig ibm drive ages ago, turned out it was a dodgy sector (i think, was a few years back) ran the ibm tool and it fixed it. i think they just stop you from writing to the bad sectors so your drive dont fubar on you.

10. tainted

tainted What's a Dremel?

Before anything I would get busy backing up everything on the disk, on another HD or cd/dvd and then format it. Have your lectures started yet? Mine dont start until monday but I know uni's dont start at a uniform time

Really its hard to give any other recommendations until a clean format has been done ~_^

11. windowsjunkie

Yeah lectures have started. They suck. I hate college :(

Edited by Xen0phobiak

12. petacos

petacos What's a Dremel?

I agree, you need to save your files ASAP. Consolidate the files you need into one folder on your desktop, and start burning. If you can, go to local second hand stores and see if you can find old HDDs. You might get lucky and find a few 8 or 10GB drives to help backup.

Either way, the point is, Backup and reformat now, before files start becoming currupt. :idea:

BTW...Hello all....Im petacos, and in new .... :thumb:

13. windowsjunkie

Erm ok, I will try that. What do u mean by clean format, do you mean a low level format, or just fdisk and format it all that way?

Edited by Xen0phobiak

14. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Dude, you'd better do something quick- it seems that whatever your problem is it's making all your punctuation disappear, along with random letters from words!!!!!!!!oneoneone!

:D

Seriously: start backing up NOW.

Sam

15. windowsjunkie

Lmfao thats funny, lol. Sorry I don't use punctuation, I just type fast and leave out things that make sense. lol. I apologise its just my style!

Edited by Xen0phobiak - Please take the time to make your posts more legible.

16. ajack

ajack rox

Please change it, it just puts people off wanting to read your posts.

17. windowsjunkie

:eeek: This is going off-topic. Stop spamming to get your post count up, like me! :p lol j/k. Seriously, any ideas? Why did this suddenly happpen to my disk and why would a format fix it?

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I agree with Jack - it doesnt take 2 seconds to re-read your post and use proper english. I know that's hard for a brummie :p but it helps everyone if you try.

19. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Dont low level format the drive. Just zero fill it. That should be enough.

Prioritise your backups into essential data and media. That way you should have any documents done before it goes under. Before you do any formatting run Memtest 86 on your system to check that the memory is ok. It can be misleading that way. Even if the memory turns out to be the problem. Once you have working memory you still need to zero fill.

EDIT: I was feeling kind today, so I edited your posts to make them readable for everybody else. :thumb:

Last edited: 14 Sep 2004
  20. windowsjunkie

aww, that was very nice of you, thank you very much.