1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a strange problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blue_lawnchair, 6 Dec 2005.

  1. blue_lawnchair

    blue_lawnchair What's a Dremel?

    Joined:
    25 Mar 2005
    Posts:
    79
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello everyone, I have a strange problem, or well did have a problem just not sure why what I did fixed it. After I installed Windows XP w/ Service pack 2 I would have random BSOD, nothing I did fixed it until I up the FSB on my A64 system. This has fixed the problem, no blue screens for some time now. prior to this I had done nothing different that worked. Doe anyone know why this might have worked. On a side note the only thing installed at the time I done this was the chipset and video drivers.

    SYSTEM SPECS

    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester running @ 2.2 Ghz FSB @ 220
    DFI UT NF4 SLi-DR w/ nForce 6.66 drivers
    Corsair XMS PC3200C2 1GB 2x512mb
    XFX 6600 GT w/ 77.77 Forceware drivers
    WD 160GB SATA HDD
    ANTEC NEOPOWER 480w Power Supply
     
  2. Zach

    Zach What's a Dremel?

    Joined:
    29 Jul 2005
    Posts:
    138
    Likes Received:
    0
    hmm that is weird :S
     
  3. Pie_uk

    Pie_uk British beef, in Britain

    Joined:
    6 Apr 2005
    Posts:
    2,683
    Likes Received:
    7
    ok you need the latest chipset drivers from nvidia, 6.70 iirc, then when you have got it run it, and install everything but the nvidia firewall ( choose the nvidia firewall or windows not both) dont install the SW driver aka storage driver, this basically solved my bsod problems :) with the NF4 (asus a8n sli premium)
     
  4. hitman012

    hitman012 Minimodder

    Joined:
    6 May 2005
    Posts:
    4,877
    Likes Received:
    19
    You don't want the nVidia firewall at all - it has issues with corrupting downloads, blocking everything, etc.

    It's possible that the RAM didn't like the lower speed... I've seen it happen before (albeit with cheaper stuff) and running it at its rated speed, DDR400, instead of 333 fixed it. That's only ever happened once - it is a very odd problem.

    It's more likely that the a timing was set in the BIOS that was causing instability at 200MHz, but moving up to 220 meant it was within the range of values that will run stably at that speed.
     

Share This Page