1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals I just spent £40 on cables i dont need...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Farting Bob, 8 Jul 2011.

1. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

..And i couldnt be happier!

The cables in my PC are boring, they do their job usually for the lowest price i could get them. Then i had to go buy a molex to SATA power connector and saw some of BitFenix's Alchemy cables. Damn if they arent the sexiest ATX 24pin extension cables ive ever seen!

[​IMG]

I went with blue to match my Asus motherboard (which luckily had some blue RAM in it to complete the theme), got pretty much every cable i need for my system (couldnt find anywhere selling the front panel connector, its mentioned on their site but not for sale there or anywhere else apparently)
    They should arrive monday so im finally going to get around to doing some cable-fu that ive been meaning to do for the last 6 years and making the inside of my case look all pretty. My only complaint was about the SATA cables being straight connectors at both ends, but i guess that just means they'll stick out a bit more with their sexy braiding. Ive seen the NZXT cables that look very similar but only available in black or silver.

Kind of makes me wish i still had my all black setup (black board, GPU and PSU), so i could fill it with bright orange or red cables. :hehe:

Expensive, but for the last 4 years ive been using a boring case with messy cables, so im treating the old gal.

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Looking good! Got any other pics?

3. Farting Bob

Sadly thats a photo from another website, mine havent arrived yet, but once they do and i get a free afternoon then i'll see what i can do.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I just spent £325 on a CPU I don't need, and I'm very happy too. :D

The cables look amazing :thumb:

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Don't quite get it - they seem to be mainly extension cables, which means you still have to use the original ones your PSU came with as well?

I'd love the orange sleeved ones to replace all the cabling in my build, but only if I can do away with the ones I have already.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I use these in my machine, so if you want more pics look in my thread :) They're beautiful, cloth braid instead of plastic, so they bend easily. The qulity is perfect too.

I just wish PSU's came with sleeving like this...

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Which thread? Your watercooling 'how to' has nearly no pictures, and certainly couldn't find any showing the braided cabling/how it works as extensions once it's installed :(

Where did you get all your braiding kit/supplies from? Really really wanting to do all the cabling in my R3 now.

8. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

whaaa? yes it does, there's bloomin loads of pictures, scroll down to have a look at Pete's new case and you'll see the extension's

edit: also does anybody know best place to get these from? or at least any other places that might do them other than specialtech?

9. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I like these and have a mix of BitFenix and NZXT. I did have one problem with a NZXT 24 pin cable though, the wiring was screwed up and went to the wrong pinouts. I kept wondering why my PC was powering down randomly. I keep meaning to redo it.

I've got the straight SATA power cables but they look good when lined up.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

MDPC, it's lovely stuff. And there are many many pictures...

Only seen them from there buddy. Why don't you want to buy from specialtech?

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I mean pictures of the extensions installed, alongside the stock cables from the PSU. Not just the extensions dangling in the case without components.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ah, I haven't got that far really :p

13. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Ah just wondering if I could get them cheaper, free shipping something like that, shame they don't do them from scan really

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, after reading the whole thread I worked that bit out :)

What are you planning to do with the cables from the PSU? Obviously they're going to be massively long once the extensions are added, hiding them somewhere?

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I shall be, yes :)

And specialtech are ok, I spent £50+ on cables...

16. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

^So you don't lose your warranty sleeving the cables that are on your psu if it's not fully modular

Considering a few of these myself let me know what you think of the quality of them once they arrive :D

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thay're perfect, and I have MDPC sleeving, and I prefer the Bitfenix sleeving...

Easily worth the money...

18. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Hm, definitely tempted to get the BitFenix stuff, once I can work out where to tuck the cables from the PSU. The R3 has an irritatingly slim gap behind the motherboard tray.

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

GAH

I HATE INDIVIDUALLY SLEEVED CABLES.

:sigh:

20. Farting Bob

Well yes but these cables are going in a PicoPSU powered system (fileserver). So my Power brick is hanging out on the floor around the back, which will plug into all these extension cables before entering the case. It also helps that ive got a mATX board and 3 HDD's so theres plenty of room in my reasonably big case. So it'll still look good. Its not my heavy duty system, but it allows me to easily fiddle with things like the cabling and appearence. My main system has too much going on inside to tidy up, this one is hopefully going to be very tidy when done.

I agree, with a normal internal PSU these wont look as good, but there is nothing stopping you from having a normal PSU outside (either on the floor or if your able to make a bracket to fix onto the back of the system) and using the pwoer cable extensions.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2011