1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I made a massive boo boo... (again)

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 1 Aug 2019.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Music Enthusiast

Hey folks,

For those who follow the "Latest Purchases...." thread will know a few weeks back I got some new alloys to replace the borked ones on my BMW F30

I had them fitted yesterday and instantly noticing a major error I made on purchase....

The stock BMW 397 alloys I had were 18x8j with an offset of 34 all the way around...

When one got damaged and I had to travel the next day I had them replaced last minute with Wolfhart Techline alloys, fairly inexpensive rims 5 spoke design 18x8j all the way around with an offset of 40....The garage said they'd sit slightly under the fender but probably won't notice it. (I didn't)

I then decided to replace those with some MV1 alloys I found refurbished on eBay, got a really good deal on them, gloss black and they fitted the F30. Fabulous!

However... when getting into the car something didn't look quite right. It drove fine, no rubbing, grinding, vibration.. nada!

Though the rims seemed to sit a good 10mm behind the fender and quite frankly looked odd!!

Bugger I exclaimed!

Until I checked the listing.... 18x8J front... 18x8.5J rear (no issues) ET47 ET50

*Face palm*

would a spacer kit sold this absolute balls up I've made? I mean the car doesn't look bad and it drives fine it just doesn't quite have the right stance

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I don't have a complete understanding of offsets and widths and ET's and whatnot, but I believe the answer to your question is yes. Assuming my understanding is right that you want them to sit a bit closer to the outside edge of the arch (IE: Further out than they currently do).

I'm not sure how much of a spacer you'd need, though, I'd guess somewhere between 5 and 10 mm?

3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Likely get away with a 10mm spacer kit, do a quick check from the edge of the tyre to make sure its not going to eat the arch or arch liner.