1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases I may need this in my future...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jeff Hine, 28 Mar 2020.

1. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

What case is that & how many body parts would I need to surrender to get it...?

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That my matey is the one I have, the Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic (non XL). I think thats the EK distro plate, I've been thinking about migrating to it but it only takes a DCC and not a D5 unfortunately!

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. Jeff Hine

So, IIRC:
    DDC is powerful, but 'noisy'; D5 is quiet...?

EDIT:
    Buggah... just looked at the dimensions & I was right - too wide for where my PC lives; would need to be <250mm wide.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

DCC is around half as powerful as the D5 with a substantially lower flow rate. As I alwayss go for 60mm 360mm rads you need a fair bit of flow rate to move the water around. I can't comment on the noise, although I know the DCC's used to be prone to overheating.

Edit: D5's in my experience are utterly silent unless something bad happens to the impeller, at which point they'll make your house shake!

5. Jeff Hine

I'm sure there was a reason why DDC's got used over D5's... just can't remember. :(

If the distro-plate is what's appealing, I just wish I had the wherewithal to build a custom case around one... but I neither have the space or skill - let alone the money - to do so.

*dream shattered*

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

As I said, its the pressure and flow rate. They both massively boost cooling temps!

And TBH if you're going to do a custom case a distro plate is fairly easy. I'd personally use 3 laters of plexi or acrylic, then holes in the back one for the fittings, front one is solid for glam and the middle gets laser cut for routing. Then I'd use steet gaskets, so a think layer of soling like silicone sheeting, beterrn as a seal with it all screwed together for completeness. You just needs CAD skills, money for fabbing costs :p Or the self-loathing to tap the threads yourself :p

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I have a D5 and a DDC. I bought the EK cooling kit for the DDC and run it at 7v. It's more than powerful enough to give great flow.

But yeah, I would cool the DDC. The kit isn't stupid money either.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  8. Jeff Hine

Ahh -- DDC for pressure; D5 for flow rate... though I FA clue what's works better...

I digress.

The Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic is too wide (and would mean a new desk/whole front room remodel), so "ain't happenin'..."

9. Vault-Tec

That is part of the reason why I did not get the 11. It's quite wide. The 12 on the other hand (whilst costing over double) is much narrower. I didn't want my PCs eating into my kitchen too much.

That said the 11 is about the best case you can buy right now, so maybe try and make the space somehow dude.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  10. Jeff Hine

Ancient desk...
    IMG_20200328_163400[1].jpg

Yeah; it could do with a spring clean, but...

11. Vault-Tec

Get the crap in the basket off there and put the rig up on there.

Yaka and Bloody_Pete like this.
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I would hate that so much, I need more space to wiggle and move!

13. Vault-Tec

Yeah that's typical autism. Organised chaos. I bet if you asked him where a tiny screw was he would find it straight away lol. My man cave at mum's is a bit like that, but I have forced myself to be much tidier at home. It took some serious discipline !

Bloody_Pete and Jeff Hine like this.
  14. Jeff Hine

... then I have a massive hole where the tower used to be... o_O

15. Vault-Tec

Shelves and more crap, if that tickles your nipples.

16. Jeff Hine

It may be a sh!tpit... but it's MY sh!tpit. :p

EDIT:
    A more compelling reason to get a new desk is that the drawer only half-opens, due to the book case next to it being bolted to the wall, at the top.

I'm not very 'blue collar' when it comes to stuff like this; I'm more a 'thinker' than a 'doer'.
    As for the in-tray/basket, on the RHS - that has my 'frequently used paperwork' in it...

Last edited: 28 Mar 2020
    Vault-Tec likes this.
  17. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Put chest of drawers next to desk
    Put PC on top of chest of drawers
    Use chest of drawers to store assorted PC related crap

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I just prefer leg space! Plus you can't fit 2 screens on there, let alone my 32", and I don't think I could go back to anything smaller now!

Get one of these for your documents. Or 5. Keep those where your current case is and then put your new case where the basket is. Rejoice in the improved airflow and bask in being able to view your system :p

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

I would argue against that, as the flow rate is only higher when there's no impedance, shove a waterblock in the way and the higher head pressure of a DDC would give you a higher flow rate as it's able to push it through the fins better. But they are noisy buggers unless properly tamed.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  20. Jeff Hine

I had a 24" monitor before the 28" I have now... I made space for it; if I had a 32", I'd make space for it, too, Besides, if I had a desk big enough for 2 monitors, I'd have to find somewhere else to put the table with the printer on.
    I don't build PC's to look at them, I build them to (cue Short Circuit quote) 'run programs'...
    I can see the my PC where it is, now... well; the front & (part of) the top of it, where the power & reset buttons are.