1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks I need a cheap laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darkwisdom, 15 Feb 2012.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Basically, my father-in-law's laptop has had it, it artifacts, rolling back drivers and reinstalling does nothing, it's running, but the artifacting stops him enjoying his laptop.

He needs something basic. Word processing, Basic games ( i mean basic, age of empires I, older games like that.)

I doesn't need to be good or jazzy (never said that in my life) It just needs to do what he wants. No preference on OS, just has to be windows XP or higher.

He doesn't want to spend much - £200-£250 is the highest he'll spend, and he doesn't like netbooks.

Anyone got any ideas? And from where?

2. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I recently had the same(ish) predicament. My wife needed a new laptop but she is quite thrifty to say the least and so didn't want to pay more than she had to.

First let me say that a budget of £250 is low, I'm sure it can be done but it will be tough. I remember seeing Tesco selling some HP models with AMD processors and pentium processors that seemed reasonable but I can't remember the exact spec. However at that kind of price range they may be worth a look.

I ended up with a HP pavilion g6 from PC World ( a place I normally loath to enter) but its a decent laptop actually and more so when compared to the Dell Inspirons which felt cheap, tacky and brittle.

I got one with 6gb Ram, i5 2430 CPU, and 750 gb HDD and Windows 7 64 bit for £350 (for me it was actually £280 because I don't have to pay VAT as I take everything out of the country to Brazil so the items are exempt. If you know someone going outside of Europe in the next six months get a 407 form I think it is when you buy the product and get them to claim they have the laptop when they leave the country - although this is fraud which I don't condone in any way shape or form)

I'm not sure how it would deal with AoE however.

Ill have a further scout around in the mean time.

3. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

4. barney magru

barney magru New Member

Personally I wouldn't recommend going lower than £350 (in terms of what's available at the moment).

This with usb3
    http://www.ebuyer.com/322115-asus-x54h-laptop-x54h-sx168v

or this without usb3 but with bigger hd
    http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-k53e-sx087v-i3-2310m-4gb-640gb-15-6--w7hp-7R9M.html?src=2

Would be my picks at the mo. I've recommended for a number of customers and Asus laptops usually have solid build-quality, decent screens and comfortable keyboards.
    The sandybridge i3 on those is a powerful cpu, will run cooler and quieter than most older cpus and combined with the 4gb memory will be fine for your dad for plenty of years to come.

Going below £350 rrp at the moment, you tend to be looking at either less powerful cpus, less than 4gb memory, cheaper cases, keyboards and monitors or any combination of those.

5. MonkeyBoss

MonkeyBoss New Member