1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable I need a PDA but not a phone, Could someone recommend me one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by curme, 26 Jul 2008.

1. curme

curme Minimodder

There is no phone cell coverage where I live, so I just need a basic PDA. I got a new job and I really have no clue as to what I am doing. So I need a PDA for notes, meetings, schedules, and watching movies or listening to music when I get bored!

It's hard to find PDAs without phones attached anymore.

Could someone recommend me one? PPC or Palm Pilot?

2. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

3. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

most are actually phones nowadays, simple just pda's are pretty cheap tho so thats a good thing. i see your in america but just to show you uk prices which are no doubt higher than yours, something fully loaded is only £200 http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=156268

4. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I wish they hadn't gone away from the sleeves. I used to have a 5550 with the dual pcmcia sleeve. That thing rocked!

5. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

ASUS A626, with an 8 GB CF card. Simple, durable, onboard WiFi and Bluetooth. Gets good battery life, too. Comes with Windows Mobile and Media Center, so it'll play MP3s, WMAs, WMVs, and the like.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

How about Nokia N810? Maybe not your most generic PDA, but I've heard good things about that and the screen should be great. Also features a qwerty keyboard so you can actually write things on it without fiddling with stylus.

7. curme

curme Minimodder

Thanks for all of the suggestions! A lot of people recommended the Dell X51 or Axim series, but I was leaning towards the ASUS A626 just because of aesthetics.

But that Nokia N810 looks pretty cool too! I just wonder if that keyboard is too small for my fat fingers. I work with a lot of Excel, PowerPoint, etc. files, so I wonder if the Asus would be betetr because of it's OS. Sorry if that sounds naive, I'm still trying to learn about this stuff! :)

8. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

If it's office compatibility you want then a ppc would be better. Just remember, not all office formatting will work with the ppc version office apps.

9. deltaworld

deltaworld What's a Dremel?

Try the Fujitsu LOOX

Tags: