1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice I Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by FourOfDiamonds, 19 Apr 2012.

1. FourOfDiamonds

FourOfDiamonds What's a Dremel?

Hi, I just wanted some advice. I am thinking of getting a Desktop PC to upgrade from my Laptop. From what I gather it is best to build one or buy a custom configured one. Rather than buy a branded one such as HP or Lenovo.
    The problem I have is what parts would get me the best PC for the lowest price, I gather the main differences between components but get lost when the only difference is the number in front of them.(e.g. 640 AMD Athlon™ II X4 Quad-Core Processor and 651 AMD Athlon™ II X4 Quad-Core Processor)
    So in short could any one give me some suggestions on reliable websites for parts (Preferably UK Based) and what sort of parts to get.

Preferably I would want to spend less than £500 but I could stretch slightly over that.
    It would be used for some gaming on games such as TF2, Minecraft, ANNO 2070 and others
    It would also be used for quite a lot of multimedia tasks such as video editing and photo editing in Photoshop.
    It would also be used for various forms of coding. Anything from html and as3 to C#and JAVA
    And that Is pretty much it.

Thanks for your help.
    FourOfDiamonds

2. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

Try looking here. Look on the Value System range, it will give you an idea of what's available and the price.
    Would you be interested in second hand? People are always selling complete pc's in the marketplace, although I realise you wont be able to access it yet.

3. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Are you capable/confident of building one yourself? Doing this will save you some cash but can be daunting for the inexperienced.

Also if you build your own them you have free range over all the components you can choose from (although I understand that if you call Scan on that 3XS site they can offer almost anything you want that isn't listed if it is compatible).

If you are happy to build your own then I will gladly spec up a build for you if you give a budget.

Finally I think this thread belongs in hardware not the tech support.

4. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

My guide has prices in US $'s, but if you read through the content sections it will explain to you most of the reasons why things like the 640 are different from the 651. I don't go over everything in there, but I go over everything you would want/need to know to begin appraising your own parts. Give it a read, and if you're bothered, you can look at the part recommendations and try to find them at UK vendors. However, none of the content sections are region specific so don't worry about regional differences there :p.

5. FourOfDiamonds

FourOfDiamonds What's a Dremel?

Hi, with regards to building a PC I have never built a PC before but would not mind trying I have seen PCs built before and pretty much understand enough to build the PC if I had all of the parts. It would be a great help if you could give me the spec for a good build in the price range of up to £500, One thing I will add is that although not immediately I would eventually get 2 monitors for the PC so it would be useful to have a graphics card that does not need an upgrade to do this.
    Thanks.
    Four Of Diamonds