1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I passed my driving test :D

Discussion in 'General' started by webbyman, 29 Jul 2006.

1. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:D i passed my driving test the other day, (27th) i got 3 minors and it was my second test, so not too bad... I was realy nervous the first time round, and failed within 2 minutes without a doubt of leaving the test centre.

driving is amazing :D i've been all over my local area and have been on a shopping trip to cambridge :eek:

i've found it very hard to drive sensibly and resist speeding around like a loony :O especially since the car i've driving is reasonably powerfull for a 17 year old's first car :p (1.4i corsa ) i find it a fun car to drive, in comparison with the 3 cars i've driven for a fair amount of hours in anyway...

Im a bit worried about getting done for speeding :O well in 30mph limits although saying that on a lot of strict 30 zones i make sure i don't go faster even with a bunch of cars sitting behind me in aggony trawling along at 30mph lol

2. xpc

xpc What's a Dremel?

lol. :D
    thats true. well based on my experience i've been joy ride atleast 2days after my test drive. no one can't stop me driving my new car (and licensed too) :lol:
    congrats bro.

3. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Congratulations webbyman, it's a great feeling, and with only 3 minors you obviously did well. If you really can't resist driving faster than you should then be careful, it's very easy to push it too far and end up in a hedge or worse. Remember you're really only just starting to learn how to drive properly, you'll get massively better at it very quickly, but I read somewhere that most people level out in terms of driving skill after about 8 years (not sure if that's right or how the research was done, but sounds about right).

I remember driving a 1.4 Corsa on a practise test after only having driven a 1.2 Corsa and my 1.2 Clio, the performance difference is pretty big in a small car. The instructor was impressed because I asked if it was a 1.4 right after I pulled away. Personally I'm scared that there are people taking their test who couldn't tell the difference!

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Nice one, webbyman! Knew you'd do it!

I'm pootling round in a work pool car, a well-used W-Reg Vauxall Vectra 1.7DTi 16v. Slowly getting used to it as I learnt in a newer 04-reg 1.7DTi Astra.

I also drive our car around, it's an R-reg Renault Megane Scenic RXE 2.0. Bit of a tank and being petrol stalls a damn site easier than the diesels I learnt in and am driving about.

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i learnt and passed my test in a 1.0 corsa, first car i drove after that was the family 1.8 focus estate, was quite a jump :eeek: :D

6. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

thanks everyone :D

i've been realy carefull in 30mph limit's and driving at just under the extra 10% in 40/50/national speedlimits.. admitidly, i have driven a little retarded comming out of empty car parks :O

It's the only car I've driven thats powerfull enough to wheelspin without trying a great deal :O I've done it accidental a few times.. *can't wait to see what 1.8 or more is like :O !!! * Accelerating is very noticble in comparisons with the other 1.0 and 1.2 cars i've driven.. Accelerating out of / around cornors get the adrenaline pumping too :naughty: :D

However saying all of this i've only done it when safe to do so, as im extreemely worried about loosing my licence or flipping my mums car, as i know right know, i don't know the limit's and capabilitys of the car yet ;)

7. NiHiLiST

Just don't go hooning around any country lanes at ridiculous speeds, only idiots do that!

Hides photos of crunched-up Clio :worried:

8. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

Roffle :D

I'm not that stupid ;)

* Can I see the damage and an explaination, to help convince me to drive sensibly in the countryside ;) ?

9. NiHiLiST

I had a good look but couldn't find the disc with the photos on :( I do however have a cracked Renault bonnet badge in my drawer. Let's just say the damage wasn't all to the car either, my bank account took a beating. No one was hurt though and it taught me to drive a bit more sensibly :D

10. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Congrats. Drive safe. If you are going to be driving fast/reckless, then at least go to big parking lot or empty road and feel the limits of your car and yourself. Especially in the wet. You will miscalculate some soft-bend and end up in a ditch otherwise.

Good luck. L

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Well done! Have fun, and stay safe. Just remember... you can;t drive yet, so don't let your ego bet teh better of you. I know most men like to think they're good drivers, but NOW is when you start learning. Passing your test just means you've reached the MINIMUM required standard. Your confidence will far outstrip your talent.

Take it easy, enjoy it, and work up that no claims bonus.

12. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:hehe: the car would proberly be a write off if anything hapened to it :D and i can believe the hit your wallet took :O

I'm never ever wreckless when anyone else is around, but if theres nobdy there and its safe i am a little more agressive with the car :p

and hopefully i can start to build up a no claims bonus :p
    :D I don't realy enjoy driving in the wet, and i never have, personally i don't think i'll ever be a loony in the wet, i think my judgment of corners and braking would be too poor an inaccurate...

and as a general rule for coners, unless you can see where it ends, slow down ;)

13. NiHiLiST

You're right on the corners, you should be able to stop in less distance than you can see and have enough grip spare to change your line should you need to swerve around something.

14. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Even if you can see the corner perfect (and everything behind it) there is still a good chance you spin and hit a tree if you are driving too fast in the wet. Anyway, enjoy the freedom of driving!

L

15. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Well done mate! Sounds like you did really well there.

Ha the opposite is true for me car wise though. Learnt to drive in a 1.8 16v Golf which was written off about two weeks after I passed, and now I'm in an 8v instead. Still a mint car like... :D

Tags: