1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage I think my hard drive may need to be sent away for RMA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ryan498, 11 Jul 2012.

1. ryan498

ryan498 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I purchased a Western Digital 250gb Green 3.5" SATA drive from Scan last August.

When it first arrived it was lucky for which SATA ports it wanted to use on my ASUS P8P67 Deluxe board, currently it only shows up in BIOS and Windows when using the Marvell ports.

However its currently making Check Disk run every time I switch the computer on. I'm only using it as a third hard drive in the computer so its only storing data. Check disk runs because when I try to delete a file on the drive it comes up with an error code saying the drive is corrupted, although I can read and open up each file on the drive.

I have used Sea Tools and the drive failed on the long generic test. I then used Western digital's hard drive scanner on a similar long test and it passed it okay.

I have also formatted it fully (not quick format) twice on Windows 7, its then okay until a couple of reboots later it shows Check disk on start up again.

I am planning on sending it back to Western Digital under warranty, but I am worried that they will not found any issues with it. Do you guys know if they would still charge me for no fault found? This is the first time I've had to RMA anything back to WD.

Thanks,
    Ryan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2. ryan498

ryan498 What's a Dremel?

Its a SATA 2 drive btw.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Have you tried HD Tune or CrystalDiskInfo - I've not used the programs you listed above but these will read the SMART data from your disk and indicate any possible errors (I'd recommend both as I've had a disk pass using one piece of software but fail using the other recently)

It does sound on the way out however... I'd try RMA'ing back to SCAN in the first instance.

4. ryan498

ryan498 What's a Dremel?

I'll give those a go, but one of the programs I used would find any SMART on the drive.

I'll still try them though.