1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster I wanna cry. 320 gigs out the window.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jackjr, 8 Jun 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackjr

jackjr What's a Dremel?

So I'm sleeving my power cords in my big machine. Not really a mod, per se, just trying to do some tidying up inside the box. Note to all - make sure you have the molex connectors wired up properly when you put everything back together. I wasn't paying attention and wired it up backwards ( I think, still have to investigate. Flicked on the power to the box, and watched the dreaded blue smoke come pouring out of the drive bay. Needless to say, I've got a pair of 160 GB hard drives that are useless now until I can find replacement circiut boards. I think the drives themselves are fine, just have to replace the boards. Seagate is going to send a replacement for one drive, but the other is OEM and not supported.

Not a happy day for me yesterday. 320 gigs down the toilet, hopefully only for the time being. :wallbash:

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Ouch :(

3. jackjr

jackjr What's a Dremel?

you better believe it... I was not happy when I left work yesterday. :duh:

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Strange, I did the exact same thing, but I got away with frying one empty (read: brand new) drive.

5. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

Ahhh a prime example of why I <3 seagate. The problem was entirely your fault, but they are glad to help you out regardless.

6. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Dude, ouch, shame to hear that.

Yep, Seagate Rock!

7. jackjr

jackjr What's a Dremel?

The nice thing is - Seagate is going to advance ship me a drive, so I'll be able to pull the circuit board off the replacement, load it on the defective, get my data back (pray pray pray) and be back in business in no time with that one. The WD is going to take a little more doing. If I have to get another WD from ebay or something, I don't care. The data that's on the drives are way more important that the physical drives themselves. Fortunately, I have a backup of some, but not all, the data.

8. jackjr

jackjr What's a Dremel?

Absolutely.. I used to love WD drives, but Seagates support has definitely been a godsend at this point.

9. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

Put up a wanted ad on ebay for WD drives of the exact type and size of the one you have, and say that it doesn't matter if there are damaged sectors or drop damage to the drive, just as long as the controller is not screwed.

Too bad it wasn't an IBM 40gig or 80gig, i have one each of those that i screwed up window mods for, see image for more information: It was allready broken from a bad window mod, i just had some fun.

10. jackjr

jackjr What's a Dremel?

Wonderful idea.. done. :rock:

11. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

I think this is one of the most mistakenly thing done in mods. But I am glad your not giving up on the drives and getting more controler boards. Save the drives!!

12. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

OUch! Been here, done that! I hope the swap works for you!

Btw, I like that "Window" on the hard drive, But what did you do to it???

13. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

I screwed up the window mod, the harddrive didin't clear self check, so i smashed it 15 times into a concrete floor until the platters broke. IBM's 80gig drives use glass platters...

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Hope you can recover the data. Best of luck - you'll need it. For all you can be sure of, the motors could have been fried too :eeek: :waah:

15. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

i`d be gutted! only got an 80gb hdd atm, getting a 160gb soon tho (hopefully)

16. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't think the motor or actuator coil (reader arm) would be burned, that would take some serious current, not sure the connectors and chips on the board could supply that current.

But burning the data bus translator that is mounted inside the drive, usually on the reader arm, is a real possibility :(

17. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

that bites, hope just replacin the boards does it for you. please be sure to post the results.

18. woodjamin

woodjamin What's a Dremel?

i did the same exact thing. had a nice 160gb for a liong time almost full.. sleeved my whole powersupply and the next thing i know my 160 is dead. i reversed the red and yellow wires. >.<

19. fof gwada

fof gwada What's a Dremel?

yeah i did that also i think a lot of people have

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

it's just 320GB. I lost 2x250 due to one dying due to the 5v line slipping out (265GB data, flushio), an 80GB maxtor (just stopped spinning one day, and took it's array with it (95GB data, flushio). Plus i lost a 20 GB deathstar, (8 or so GB) and a 30GB maxtor (30 GB flushio)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.