1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want my MTV - For Free

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 21 Jun 2004.

1. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

in the movie most of the moon was still there, just in large chunks, and apparently a lot of pieces came down to earth, causing destruction

2. w4rd

w4rd What's a Dremel?

my take on this situation...

ok, ive read quite a bit on this subject..and i want to rant a bit about the whole "filesharing" situation. Its pretty obvious that its illegal and immoral, but what you all have to realize is that people are going to do it no matter what, and there is nothing that you can do about it. Sure, microsoft, or whoever is next in line is going to try to implement some solution that makes it impossible to share music and videos, but no matter what they do it will always be compromised.

im not trying to make a case either way about weather people should or should not share, im simply stateing that its gonna happen weather you like it or not.

you have to realise that there is a group that should be considered nothing short of an army that is willing to put the time and effort in when it comes to having something to listen to. this army is comprised of highly intelligent and extremely creative individuals who will always out"brain" anyone no matter how large or powerful. Consider the vastness of microsoft, now consider how insignificant it is compared to the millions of people around the globe just thinkin of ways to get around the current "security" measure to prevent sharing.

my final point is this, shut down kazaa, bit torrent, and whatever else, well just find another service to use, shut down all services, well just create more, outlaw mp3's all together, well just come up with a different compression scheme, try to incorporate drm in your multimedia software, well just find different software, develop new software, or modify yours to work in our favor....you cant stop us, were collectively smarter than you will ever be, you can slow us down.......but we enjoy a good challenge

-the ward

3. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

I disagree, it's not obvious at all. From a legal stand point, file sharing is not illegal - there are plenty of legitimate uses for it.

On the subject of trading copyright material, it is copyright infringement under most countries laws. It is NOT theft. However, consider this. Copyright was originally for a short duration, typically ten years plus another five or ten if the author was still alive. That was deemed long enough for people to profit from their works, but didn't give them and their families indefinate hold over them. At some point, they would drop into the public domain. That seems reasonably fair, after all you can expect authors to produce new works and any work is likely based off some part of popular culture (even the language, for example).

Companies like Disney realised that this would be a problem. Mickey Mouse would be long out of copyright by now, just like the Shirlock Holmns or the works of Shakesphere by now. Note that the logo based on Mickey's outline would have remained their property under trademark law, however. This is the reason copyright has been extended to almost forever now.

Under the original deal, music from the early 80s and before would be public domain by now. If anything, big media companies are stealing from the public domain.

Plus, fire sharing copyrighted material, while illegal, is supposed by some artists because they know it boosts their sales.

Tags: Add Tags