1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education I want to build a clock

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 13 Sep 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Not sure if this is the right forum but anyway I am looking to build myself a digital clock with big numerals that I can see at night when I am not wearing my glasses.
    Yes I can buy one but they seem to be expensive and I wondered if I might be able to put something together using a Raspberry Pi and a smallish monitor.
    I have always wanted to play with a PI but could not think of anything to do with it. But screwing up my eyes to see the time at night has given me the idea.

If I can do what I want where do I begin apart from getting the Pi and monitor?

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

[​IMG]

Just don't copy his design..

stellakelly and goldstar0011 like this.
  3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Which just turned out to be a store brought clock, taken out of the original case and put loose in a suitcase.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I thought your post was just a joke. :grin:
    People over at OCUK have pointed me towards some videos which I will have a look at later.

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Great stuff, I have a PI that I have done very little with :sigh: I was going to make a dawn light alarm clock with RGBW LED strips, but never got round to it...
    I think you will need a Real Time Clock module for the Pi, as it has no persistent clock, unlike a PC.
    Pimoroni have an Adafruit one for example. It shouldn't be expensive as any Pi should do (I bought one here on the MP for a tenner with PSU and SD card and case), there are a huge number of monitors that it can use in a wide range of prices.
    Have fun!

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Decided to go the simpler and cheaper option of a old tablet, courtesy of the MP, and an app.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Bought a Nook Colour from the Marketplace installed Stay Alive and a big digital clock and we have a result which hopefully I will see at night when not wearing my glasses.
    Still need to fix it in some way to the unit and tidy up the power cable.
    [​IMG]

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Got plenty of that but thinking of something neater.

10. Vault-Tec

How can it be neater than invisible?

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

How will it be invisible as the clock is sat at an angle to the unit rather than flush?
    It is sat on two L shaped brackets where my old clock sat.

12. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

You should build yourself a Nixie Tube clock - there is quite a lot of kits about on the internet, and they look kinda steampunk, and it's an overall cool and easy project.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

This was suggested over on OCUK but where I have the tablet clock now is about all the space I have and although the Nixie clocks look good I really do not have the space for it.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've done this with old phones before - they lasted about 18 months before the batteries bloated and I had to chuck them for safety. If it's always on with constant charge I'd watch out for it.

I'm tempted to try a nixie tube clock. Been a while since I saw those projects.

15. Vault-Tec

OK so first remove the L brackets. Bend them to 45' or whatever angle you fancy. Sand the parts that will make contact with the tablet. Put double sided tape along brackets, stick tablet to brackets.

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I won't keep it permanently connected

That is one idea but I have others which I will give some thought to.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Had to change clock during the night as the one in the image was too bright, all academic anyway as the Nook will not charge so back to the drawing board.
    Note to self do not be so quick to sell off stuff as you never know if it will come in useful sometime in the future.

18. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Two things, don't think the digits are as big as I want them, IE 7" or thereabouts. And if it involves soldering no way as my soldering is shocking now that i have shaking hands to contend with.
    Interesting nonetheless. Cheers.

20. silk186

silk186 Derp