1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other I want to write a book. On my phone. Which software to use?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cthippo, 30 Aug 2016.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I sometimes have a lot of down time at work and want to do some fairly serious writing as it is often the only time I have available. The problem is that I can't find a good word processor app for Android. The phone (a Samsung S4) came with Polaris Office, but that crashes the phone every time I try to open it. I looked for an Android version of Open / Libre office, but the one I found is like $90 after 2 weeks. I also looked at Google dpcs, but a number of reviews said it tends to choke on large files and randomly crashes, losing work. I would prefer not to use MS Word,.

What else is out there and does any of it work well?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Personally, I'd be tempted to do the writing in plain-text on the phone, then format later on a desktop or laptop. Small phone screens aren't well-suited to WYSIWYG editing, in my opinion, especially without a mouse. As for choking on big files, if you *really* have to use a word processor rather than a text editor then just create a Google Docs file for each chapter. (I know some publishers which request each chapter as a separate file anyway, so you'd be actually saving yourself work!)

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If you're lacking in motivation, you could opt for one of those ones that starts to delete your work if you stop typing for a period of time...

but +1 for avoiding full-on word processors... Word and Google Docs and whatnot work well enough, but on a small screen they can be a bit fiddly...

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Ok, I'll give Google Docs a shot. I don't really need a full on word processor, but I'm not sure what there is between the memo programs and the full thing. Also, a spreadsheet program would be nice occasionally.