1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks I was going to get an Eee 901, but the Dell Studio 15 looks tempting!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mother-Goose, 26 Jun 2008.

1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

As the title suggests, I was all set for an Eee 901, but I've just looked at the spec for the Studio 15 from Dell, and for only £160 more I get an aweful lot more for my money, check it out:

Components:
    • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache)
    • Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    • 1 Year Base Warranty
    • 2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera - CCFL
    • Jet Black Colour with Matte Finish
    • 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™
    • 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    • 250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    • 256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3450
    • Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software
    • Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery
    • No Biometric Fingerprint Reader

£479.00 - not sure where they were getting the "starting from £379" price on their website though, I could in no way get it that low.

Thats base spec right there, the only thing I'd possibly change is the T5750 for the T8100 as it's got a higher FSB and more cache, but it's £60 more so maybe not. My real questions here are based around the Ati Mobility 3450 - is it any good, and by this I mean does it equal the 8400 M from nVidia? This is really the only reason why I'd buy this over the Eee, the ability to game slightly, or, more accurately, play C&C Generals and CS:S on med settings when I go up to a couple of friends of mine.

What do you guys think? It's alot more computer for the money, and whilst I know the eee 901 is smaller, portability isn't so much an issure as it's not likely to be used out in the wild all that much, rather, it's to save me having to turn the main rig on if i just want to browse the net, to work in the summer house at home over the wifi, and occasionally take to my mates (at the moment I lug my spare rig up to his, although I don't mind doing this currently, I accept getting the EEE wouldn't save me from this).

TIA, really interested to hear your thoughts.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2008
  2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I love my Eee as much as the next man, but it's all about the portability.
    The Eee is ideal as a second, lightweight, machine for out and about. But if you want an around-the-house laptop, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a budget 300-400 quid laptop (like the dell) instead.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I can't even see how they compete - 15.4" is still big compared to a 901...

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

that's not really a umpc though is it? the spec on that dell could be the same as any desktop. even the screen is desktop size. and it's well above the price i'd pay for something to just surf the net

6. Mother-Goose

I agree with the above comments, the reason I am comparing them is because they are priced reasonably close (for me at least).

However, on the Dell site, it says this model starts from £379, now, without changing anything, I can't get it below £479.

What's the legal bill that states they should sell it for the lowest price advertised? I've read it a few times in computer active where people have managed this, is it the Trade Descriptions Act?

Edit: Now Dell has updated their site to say it starts at £539, but there is a discount on it to bring it to £479, shoulda tried it last night me thinks lol

Edit 2: I have finally managed to get it to the £379 spec but it's a turd to be honest, I reckon £479 is pretty good for all that kit though, I may save just a little longer to get one :)

Last edited: 27 Jun 2008
  7. Xir

Xir Modder

Never managed that either, no way to deselect any options to reach their "starting" price.
    maybe you have to call them for this price, and get the system:

-as a business customer buying 100+
    -without VAT
    -without an OS
    -personal pickup in Ireland
    -on your knees with your pants around the ankles mumbling "hail Michael, hail Michael" :naughty:

That's the main point were Dell keeps disappointing me, the pricing on their front page is...worthless?

Xir

8. Mother-Goose

Ok to get the £379 option you need to:

1. Click on the "Choose" button under the Studio Column (under the main section showing the colourful inspiron's
    2. Then click 'Choose' for the Studio 15 model
    3. Then, of the three options on screen, click the 'Customise' button for the model that is displayed across the top of the screen, priced at £429
    4. Keep the base package

And there you have, £379, however, the spec is:

• Inspiron 1535: Intel Celeron Dual Core T1400 (1.73GHz, 533, 512KB)
    • Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    • 1 Year Base Warranty
    • 2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera - CCFL
    • Jet Black Colour with Matte Finish
    • 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™
    • 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    • 120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    • IntelJ Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    • Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software
    • Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery
    • No Biometric Fingerprint Reader
    • Accessories

Not worth all that hassle really. Well I'm assuming a Dual Core Celeron isn't much cop? An extra £50 gets you the 3450 though, would that make it a handy package?

9. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

If you do end up getting one of these can you let me know how it is? Ive been looking at getting one of these for when I go off to college but it just seems like too good of a deal to be true.

10. Mother-Goose

I reckon I'll get it in early august so I will let you know, I just need a bit longer to save for that one seeing as I'm saving up for a house too lol

11. Mother-Goose

reported ^