CPU I5 2500s Vs 2500 worth being tight?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cookie! nom nom, 2 Mar 2018.

1. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Member

27 Apr 2012

I've been looking on cex for a CPU for the dell 790 ssf, and I can't decide if it worth paying the extra over the i5 2500s for the i5 2500. The rig won't be anything Amazing just a few ssds I have lying around and a 1030. Because I'm living with my parents still I don't want to pointlessly waste electricity if possible so was thinking the S chip would be better. The most demanding game I have in my steam/other,s library is JC3 and BF3 and newest tropical. Because I'm playing from sofa most games will be run at 768 as I find it easier to read see some details. I know it's me probably being silly and one is alot slower than the other but I'm in two minds due to the pennies:rollingeyes:

The difference between chips is £10... Minus the the pennies saved in running cost
  2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude Flying Dutchman

23 Aug 2013
    Not worth it unless the rig is on 24/7 and you're paying toward the electric for it. Even then... you'd have to leave the rig (rough number pulling) on for 50 hours to even save 10p. So you'd need to leave it on for 5000 hours (208 full days) to make back the tenner on savings.
  3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

23 Apr 2009
    The only reason to opt for the S would be if one of the following is true:

it's cheaper than the non-s
    it's a SFF PC and the cooler can't handle the non-S [unlikely tbh]
    Dell have been Dell and locked the bios down so only the S models will work [of the 3, the most likely]