1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks i5 4210U or A6 6310 in laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dadoftriplets, 5 Mar 2015.

1. dadoftriplets

dadoftriplets What's a Dremel?

i am looking for a new laptop for my wife with a maximum budget set by her of £330. I have found two different laptops which seem ok, but i cannot tell which is the better one to go for.

the first is this one -Toshiba Satellite pro R50 B 12V
    i5-4210U - I've read this is a dual core processor and not like the quad core i5 i have in my desktop?
    4GB Ram
    500GB HDD

and this AMD laptop Acer Aspire E5-521
    AMD A6 A6-6310 quad core processor
    6GB Ram
    1TB HDD

both are the same price (£329.99 as time of writing) Obvious differences in RAM and HDD apart, which is the better processor to go for for general Web usage, a little light gaming (tends to be games online, but i may add her laptop to my steam account to play some of the smaller specc'd games I have on my account - hope that makes sense)

I am leaning towards to ACER model because of the larger amount of RAM and HDD space, but the wife is leaning towards the Toshiba as she has had one before, despite the smaller drive and RAM.

Anyone able to help me with this?

Thanks

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

in terms of a decent comparison check out http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

RANK 163 for the i5 4210U CPU performance
    RANK 297 for the A6 6130 CPU performance

GPU A6 6130 = 2632 AVG score in 3D mark 2013 1080p
    GPU i5 4210U = 3473 AVG score in 3D mark 2013 1080p

havent seen any gaming benchmarks to check but on paper the intel is the clear winner

3. dadoftriplets

dadoftriplets What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply - based on that i think I will have to change my mind and go with the Toshiba laptop unless i can find something else with better specs for the same money (however unlikely that maybe)

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

to be honest im surprised on the GPU benchmarks i would have thought the AMD would have won easily