1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking i5 750 reaching 80C on a 3.5GHz overclock

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jammy_fred, 31 Mar 2010.

1. jammy_fred

jammy_fred Minimodder

So I just installed a titan fenrir into my i5 750 system and tried to use customPC's suggested bios settings for a 3.8Ghz overclock (190BCLK x 20) and the chip temps quickly reached 83C under load so I dropped it down to 175x20 for a 3.5GHz overclock as well as dropping all the voltages a couple notches.

However at load I am still reaching 80 or 81C on a couple cores. Does this indicate I might have installed the fenrir incorrectly or added too much/not enough thermal grease?

2. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

Yeah 80 is very high with a fenrir, i would of expected more around 60-65 tops. But i've never had an i5, only C2Q with a similar high overclock (3.7)

3. jammy_fred

jammy_fred Minimodder

I am really confused now, I dropped all the voltages another couple notches but kept it at 3.5GHz and so far after about ten minutes at load my max temps are 56/54/51/51.
    This PC is being extremely unpredictable.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

By a couple of notches, what do you mean? As you can sometimes get OC's at low voltages :)

5. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

I am at 4Ghz using the tranquillo which isnt as good as the fenrir (apparently) and running at 80 deg max on prime5 and during normal use doesnt go above 55. So one thing that may be wrong is the mounting? not enough TIM or it not being spread evenly? I am guessing a little as I dont have any experience with a fenrir unfortunatly but those temperatures seem massivly high. What voltatges were you using?

6. jammy_fred

jammy_fred Minimodder

My CPU voltage was at 1.35 for the 3.8Ghz attempt, then 1.325 for 3.5Ghz and finally I dropped it down to 1.30 when my temps improved dramatically.

Will post all the exact voltages in a second.

7. moussekateer

moussekateer What's a Dremel?

I have the same setup and at a 3.67GHz (175 x 21) overclock I idle at around 30 and reach 60 at full load. I had high temps the first time I installed the Fenrir, so I took it off and redone it, this time making sure I filled in the gaps properly between the copper pipes and base plate on the Fenrir. That helped me a lot.

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Temperatures would drop when you lower the voltage.

Voltage is the main thing that affects heat.

Also, just plugging in someone elses max OC settings is a silly way of OC'ing.

Your supposed to increase the FSB in steps, then once it becomes unstable, start adding a touch of voltage, then continue increasing FSB. Etc etc untill either it won't go any further, or temps get too high.

9. jammy_fred

jammy_fred Minimodder

ok I'm now running 185x20 for 3.7Ghz using 1.300V CPUvoltage and reaching 67C using prime95 small FFT test but I am reaching 75C+ using intelburntest.

I think I may have to reapply the heatsink and try and see how good or bad the thermal grease had spreaded.

10. Hypnosam

Hypnosam Minimodder

Once you've taken the cooler off make sure that you have removed the old paste, both from the fenrir and the cpu.

What fan config are you using, is there any air being sucked into the pc and blown out of it?

Also, is the fan on the fenrir pulling the cool air through the fins on the cooler?

11. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

It sounds to me like you're just trying random combinations of settings, which isn't the best way to do it.

I don't think the heatsink is the problem, your volts are just too high for the overclock you are going for. My i5 750 will do 3.6GHz at 1.2V, which is only slightly more than the stock voltage. But all chips are different, so YMMV. There's no need to go crazy if you can get it stable at a lower voltage.

In any case, 80C isn't really too high. I'd say it's about as high as you want to go for stress testing, but under normal usage temperatures will never get that high, especially with IntelBurnTest (as the name suggests, it pushes temperatures as high as they will go, beyond realistic levels. But that's why I use it :)).

12. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Which motherboard are you using? I recently bought 750 and have it at 4GHz @ 58 degrees on full stress (albeit with Corsair H50, but even if you add 10 degrees to that for the air cooling, that's nowhere near 80 degrees). And yes - 80 is very toasty for i5. Here is my thread and as you can see I'm running with much higher voltages than you. So as I said, what mobo are you using?

13. wst

wst Minimodder

Quoted for truths. OP, take note of this. No 2 processors are born equal. Tiny little deviations in the manufacturing process means you can get vastly different results with different cores from even the same production run. Stuff like the TWKR Phenom II that got given to various prominent OCers, they were too defective to sell and came from the same wafer as consumer-bought cores. Same sort of thing, less pronounced, occurs with consumer procs. You have to work each one up individually, there's no magic combo.

14. jammy_fred

jammy_fred Minimodder

Obviously I was coming at this from the completely wrong angle by trying to jump straight in at 3.8Ghz with someone elses voltages etc.

I will start fresh tomorrow from 2.66GHz and inch up to make sure I get it right (even though I managed to get a stable 3.8Ghz without exceeding 75C through my stupid guesswork)

I took away and remounted to make sure my heatsink was mounted correctly and added a little bit more thermal grease as it hadn't spread enough and made sure to tighten it to the mobo as tight as possible.

I am using the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4