1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU i5 760 VS i3 530?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ltlukelt, 15 Oct 2010.

1. ltlukelt

ltlukelt Member

Hi,

I will be building my first gaming pc, and I'm interested in seeing whether an i3 or an i5 would be better for gaming as well as price/performance. I intend to pair this CPU with a GTX 460 1GB, and I will be overclocking both of these.

The games I will mostly be playing are those such as Oblivion, Fallout 3 (and New Vegas when it's released), Stalker, occasionally crisis, and I will be hoping to play Shogun 2 once it's finished.

Games such as Oblivion only fully take advantage of 1-2 cores, but I'm also looking to future proof my system, at least for another 1-2 years.

So will the core i3 530 or the core i5 760 provide a better price/performance ratio based upon the games I'll be playing?

2. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

If it was up to me and you could afford both I would go for the i5-760, this will no doubt future proof your system more than the i3 also will be a better overclocker all round, in my opinion it is generally a better processor but that may be because i've just bought one :)

3. ltlukelt

ltlukelt Member

Thanks for the input. I can easily afford both, so I will take this into consideration ;)

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

id go quadcore everytime now as more games now take advantage of 4 cores and its only gunna grow.

if your on a buget then a dualcore isnt a bad choice as its still pretty good today. as said if you can afford both and are looking for the system to be more "furture resistant" go i5 760

5. ltlukelt

ltlukelt Member

Thanks, I'm pretty much decided on the i5 now. Thanks for the help!

6. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

+1 i5-760

Best chip out there

7. nightblade628

nightblade628 Member

Agreed, only reason to go for an i3 is if you're building a non-gaming PC. 760 is teh seks.

8. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz New Member

760 is of course better chip, but i would go with i3 530 and overclock it because it's like mad cheap, and sandy bridge processors will be out soon.

9. ltlukelt

ltlukelt Member

Thanks. Going with the i3 530 with a good cooler might be the best option for me at the moment. Most of the games I play barely use 2 cores, and I could then use the money saved for a better case and mobo. I already plan on overclocking the i3 above 4ghz..

10. ltlukelt

ltlukelt Member

If I was to go with the i3, what motherboard would you recommend?

Looking at the overclocking guide here, the GA-P55M-UD2 has some issues with the i3, but it's much more future proof than any of the H55 boards.

11. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

I've got the i3 530 and a H55M-UD2H and it's a great match, in what way would you consider it less futureproof than the P55M-UD2?

However i'd definitely suggest that you the i5 760 instead if you have the money spare. Both chips are great overclockers but having a quad core is going to get more and more useful/necessary as time goes on.
    As future-proofing seems to be important to you, the i5 760 is a much better option.