1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple i5 i7?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pie_uk, 31 Aug 2011.

1. Pie_uk

Pie_uk British beef, in Britain

hey guys. I am looking at getting the new mac book air, and giving my pro to my sister. i need portability now for travelling about.

so question is do i spend just over £1000 for the i5 , 4gb mem, 128gb hdd

or opt for the 256gb flash drive and then pay another £100 for the i7...

i think it would come to about £1200 with student discount. but thats a guess.

is the extra money worth the added space and power?

i will be using it for internet and word documents and watching things online, listening to music and that sort of thing

thanks for any advice you can offer me

2. Vimesey

Vimesey What's a Dremel?

For the activites you listed, the i7's power is certainly wasted, infact an i5 is a bit excessive.

Space is a personal matter, you need to work out your storage needss.

3. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

An i3 will fill your needs without breaking a sweat.

4. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

More power.........

Sorry, turned into Jeremy Clarkson for a minute then.

Go for the i5 and pocket the change. It's still a shiny new mac :)

5. Pie_uk

yeah looks like i wont need the i7, just read how powerful the 15 is! beats the core 2 duo by 45%

one small problem, you cant use a kessington lock on it. as the air doesnt have the port... :(

i found this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UkUVvDQETw

but cant find that, looks like it would be worth getting on as i already have a lock

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I have the 13" i7 with 256GB SSD, and I can happily say that you don't need the i7. The i5 is easily enough for 90% of people, with most of the apparent speed coming from the SSD rather than the CPU.

Mine came to £1300, just under, with the upgrades and AppleCare extension FYI, so if you do decide to go for the 256GB SSD then your estimate of £1200 is about right.

It really comes down to how much space you need. I felt 128GB would restrict me a bit too much, as I have had 80/120GB HD laptops in the past that I filled fast.

7. Pie_uk

yeah i think 128 would be fine. i dont plan to store my whole itunes library on it. currently i have a 160gb and i have 20gb free, that all my itunes music, which is a good 60gb and then photos and god knows what else takes up that space... :S

is there going to be any physical way to lock the MBA down?

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Locking it down? Nope. Apple do it in store with their custom MagSafe chargers and alarms stuck to the machine. The lack of a Kensington slot does hamper things - but then Kensington locks take about 2 seconds to open with a train ticket...

9. Pie_uk

hmm i think you mean the old kessington like you can roll up paper and put it on a pen and open in seconds. the one i have pops onto a sort of small connector, it doesnt use a rounded key to open it

guessing you cant buy a custom magsafe either. oh well, i have insurance. should be fine

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Just don't leave it around. They're small and light enough to put back in your bag.

11. Blackmoon181

Blackmoon181 Geography,Its not just colouring in

i have a macbook air 13 with the i5 and the 256gb upgrade.

It isn't restricted as i use it primarily for the same reasons you intend to.

If you are after more power wouldn't a 13 inch Macbook Pro be a better choice ? or waiting until the refresh comes out? But then you are losing the point of having something so portable.

I leave all the big boy encoding and gaming to my tower waiting at home !