1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i7 920 - 2000 PPD? :(

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Rozzy, 6 Jun 2011.

1. Rozzy

Rozzy I'll get there :P

Hi

I used to fold a long time ago then stopped as I found my computer became too loud when under load. I made some hardware changes a while back and have finally decided to get back around to folding.

I have a core i7 920 at 3.2GHz and was hoping to use this for folding. I downloaded the latest SMP2 client from F@H and followed the instructions on the site to install it.

I still had Fahmon installed from when I used to fold so I used this to monitor my PPD. I'm only on my first WU but Fahmon estimates my PPD to be around 2000. I've had a look around and found that this is way lower than what I should be expecting from this processor. I've checked that the client is using all cores and it is, the entire CPU is at around 95% load.

I'd describe myself as very new to this so have I made a very simple error?

Thanks in advance
    Ross

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Welcome back to the fold.

No simple error, but things have changed since you last folded. There is now a Quick Return Bonus scheme, which gains many more points than just completing a WU does. Older versions of Fahmon can not calculate or display the bonus - try updating to the latest version or useFHM.NET instead.

You will also need to get a passkey, complete 10 WUs, and complete 80% of the WU that you are assigned - details from the horses mouth are here. Unfortunately there is no easy way to check if you have successfully met any or all of these criteria :)-(

You may find that the examples of PPD that you are comparing yours to, are from people who run their machines 24/7. Although it is not obligatory, the Quick Return Bonus scheme does encourage doing this, as the faster the WU is completed, the more bonus points are awarded. Don't be discouraged if you can not run your machine all the time, any WU returned before the deadline is helping the science.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2011
    Rozzy likes this.
  3. Rozzy

Rozzy I'll get there :P

I must admit I didn't recall having to use a passkey before. I entered one as I set everything up so that part was already done.

I downloaded HFM.NET and this is showing PPD of what I would be expecting. I should have read up on new 'features' before I jumped straight in feet first!

Thank you very much for the quick reply!
    Ross