1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice i7 930 + XFX HD4870 WCing Help/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sponge12349, 10 Jul 2010.

1. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

Hi everyone,
    I'm just about to order the following parts for my new build, and want to know if there is a cheapish Watercooling setup that can cool my i7 930 and hopefully my existing XFX HD4870 XXX Overclocked Edition(If I can find a Water Block).

• i7-930(already bought)
    • 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair XMS3, DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600) CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.65V
    • Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2
    • OCZ 500W ModXStream
    • Xigmatek Utgard??

I need some advice on the following things...

I like the idea of a bay reservoir, would the XSPC X2O 750 Dual 5.25” Bay Reservoir Pump be enough for my loop?

I know that the Utgard can only fit a 240mm rad, would this be sufficient? And could you please give me recommendations on which Radiators to buy. I've heard that rads with a depth of 50mm or more should be okay.

I really like the Xigmatek Utgard but I have two problems:
    • Theres no window(can buy them for £20)
    • Is there enough space to contain my loop?

If the Utgard isnt suitable could you please recommend a good case :)

I'm thinking this cheap Water Block should be okay, OCZ Hydroflow HF-MK1

And finally, any suggestions on where to get a reasonably cheap 4870 Water Block.

I'll also be using a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 and Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.

~Sponge

2. antonyand

antonyand mmm Jaffa Cakes

On the Waterblock front, i wouldn't have that one. Its not really good for mutli core CPU's as the contact area is rather small.

3. Sponge12349

What would you suggest?

4. antonyand

antonyand mmm Jaffa Cakes

Well when i made my build a couple of months ago the heakiller rev3 was one of the top waterblocks around(1156 tho). If you on a budget then the Hydroflow will cool you cpu, but nowhere near as good as other blocks.

I'd go for the heatkiller rev3 LT or LC (LT is better as has more channels and cools by a few degrees better) OR i'd go for the EK Supreme HF. But these aren't the cheapest of blocks.~

Edit:-

Just had a quick google and found a nice 22 block Roundup here. The OCZ hydroflow isn't on there but i found a comparison to a swiftect GTZ which isn't that good here and the GTZ is in the 22 roundup.

If you can, i'd try and spend a little bit more on a good wqaterblock. Otherwise you might aswell just get a high end air cooler

Last edited: 10 Jul 2010
  5. Sponge12349

Thanks for the info :)
    Ill have a look around...

6. true_gamer

true_gamer Well-Known Member

XSPC X2O 750 Dual 5.25” Bay Reservoir Pump is a very noisy little pump. But it will be fine for your loop.
    I would go for the EK HF cpu block. Very highly recommended!! They are now shipped with Plate no. 1 installed. (Read review to understand what I mean).
    Here's a review Clicky

Simon.

7. Sponge12349

I've been looking at the XSPC Rasa, seems to be almost as good as the EK Supreme HT but cheaper. :D
    I used that review here. Quick comparison graph here.

Do you guys think a XSPC RS240 would be a sufficient rad if I added a GPU block to the loop?
    The Utgard only fits rads up to 45mm thick :blah:

8. true_gamer

true_gamer Well-Known Member

They only tested the EK HF waterblock with the first standard Plate (Which was #3).
    After the review I showed you. EK saw the results and Stated in a post on that thread, that they will ship the latest EK models with Plate #1 as default. (Which mine came with) As plate #1 had very good results.

I wouldn't use a 240 rad to cool both CPU and GPU.

I had a 360 rad with my first watercooled loop and with my CPU overclocked with my GPU on the same loop. After 1 hr of being on, my Cpu Idle temps went from 19c to 45c and GPU from 21c to 47c.
    So I wouldn't have both running off the same loop with a 240mm rad unless you intend to use 4 high powered 2000rpm fans on full speed using a push/pull solution to dump all that heat.

This is why I decided to use 3 loops in my PC.
    360mm Rad for CPU.
    240mm Rad for GPU.
    240mm Rad for Chipset.
    Fans are set on the lowest settings and keep my 4.2ghz cpu idle at 28c, load at 52c (Base on ambient temp at 22c)

9. Sponge12349

I dont think the Xigmatek Utgard will take a 360mm Radiator :sigh:

I'd love to mod the case to get it to fit but I've never modded a case before..

If theres an easy enough way to mod the case I'd give it a try :)

10. PocketDemon

PocketDemon New Member

A quick search for the case online & it appears that you've got two push outs on the rear of the case at the top which would allow you to externally mount a rad of any size (ie with a stand).

11. Sponge12349

Oh yeah, didn't think of that. Will have a look ;)