1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling i7 Core Temp >80 degrees

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Prozone, 16 Jun 2010.

1. Prozone

Prozone :)

That cooler is a pain to install, even worse to remove. Make sure you tighten it really hard the first time...I was too scared since it was my first build, so that was the main reason why my initial temperatures were so high. Took me about 40 minutes to fiddle with the fan to remove the actual cooler itself, required two pairs of hands as well.

I would enlist the help of a friend to make sure the cooler is held down while another person bolts down the spring screws :wallbash:

2. mwebb

mwebb What's a Dremel?

Thought as much. Boy, am I going to be unimpressed if I go through that only to end up back where I am now. At least glad to hear that this isn't easy - I was feeling like a right wuss.

What is your room tempurature if you're getting 22 degrees at idle please? Also, specifically which number from which monitoring program are you quoting? Did you mention which TIM and application method you used? Just want to make sure I'm comparing apples with apples.

Many thanks (all).

3. Prozone

I just averaged all the "core" temperatures that come up on speedfan...right now, the average is 25 deg. Room temperature must be in the low 20s. I used Artic Silver 5 and the application method as described on the Artic cooling website for i7 CPUs

4. wormy

wormy Minimodder

That's what your chin, elbows and feet are for! Make like a monkey and use your limbs and things! Good luck!

Funn though isn't it? Screws have served mankind well for a good few hundred years I reckon - why all of a sudden do some hardware manufacturers decide that screws aren't cool and introduce stupid spring clip squeezy type things. Let's hope they don't start making cars or else they'll be putting square wheels on them :wallbash:

5. mwebb

mwebb What's a Dremel?

As I'm built more like a gorilla than a monkey, I think there is a significant risk I'll end up with a piece of scrap aluminium with some heat pipes and a fan attached (or perhaps a hole in my motherboard). :D

6. wormy

wormy Minimodder

Cyber-ape! :clap: Gorilla Body Hammer :clap:

7. mwebb

mwebb What's a Dremel?

Pulled it all to bits and remounted last evening. Seen an improvement, but not staggering. Still seeing c.41 at addle, but 100% load dropped from c.69 to c.64. This is with auto fan control. If I disable that, idle comes down to c.38 (but no change to load). I guess I'll have another go.

I'm currently using MX3 which might not be such a good idea?? :sigh:

How did you get on cleaning off the bottom of the Nero S? Did you manage to get all of the old TIM out of the gaps between the pipes and the base, or didn't you bother?

8. Prozone

There was nothing much on the Nero S, this may be due to me not applying enough TIM the first time around...I wiped it off with TIM remover. If i remember it was just a flat surface contacting the CPU...there were no gaps

9. mwebb

mwebb What's a Dremel?

Interesting. There seemed to be some gaps on mine. I wiped off the flat sections to a good finish, but didn't want to start poking around with something sharp to clear the crevices. I'm going to have another stab tomorrow.

Mark W.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Replacem Nero with fenrir and be happy

11. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

12. flamin9_t00l

flamin9_t00l 1,000,000,000,000 Bytes Free!

This temp monitor (speedfan) on my i7 920 rig reports cores in the 20s aswell but the actual core temps as reported by realtemp is more like 35c - 40c idle. Don't know what speedfan is monitoring (maybe cpu case temp) but it seems well wrong to me. Just to note I'm @ 3.7ghz (1.225v).

13. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

14. mwebb

mwebb What's a Dremel?

Yes, very interesting. Are those reporting mid 20s idle temperatures therefore (potentially) getting an incorrect reading? ...and yes, this is a Nero S - just like the original poster.

15. mwebb

mwebb What's a Dremel?

Tried re-orienting the Nero S so it blows up instead of backwards - definitely worse than 2nd effort, but still better than first. Most promising TIM application so far is a line direct to each of the 4 heat pipes.

I'm going to clean it all off again, and go back to that method. If that's no worse than attempt 2 I'm just going to live with it. Who'd have though this would be so finicky? :grr:

...or perhaps I should dump the MX3 and give AS5 a go??

One positive byproduct of taking the Nero S off and remounting is that now the sprung bolts will just engage the threads without having to compress the springs (which makes life much easier).

Last edited: 9 Jul 2010
  16. mwebb

mwebb What's a Dremel?

After the Nth go, the best I'm getting is c.40 degrees C at idle and c.65 at full load. Not great, but I've already nearly wrecked the heatsink once getting the fan off. I'm going to call it quits there.