1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice i7 New system. Advise before spending this amount of money

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Postmodum, 5 Jan 2009.

1. Postmodum

Postmodum What's a Dremel?

Hello to all,

first of all, thanks to everyone that helped me with some doubts i had.

I ended up on this specification,
    please advise me of something to change or not, just before i spend this amount of money.

i7 920
    Gigabyte EX58 UD5
    6Gb Dominator C8 1600Mhz memory
    Thermalright Extreme 120 + 2 x Scythe Sflex 1900rpm push/pull config
    Coolermaster CMStorm Sniper case

1 x 500Gb WD Caviar Black
    1 x 1tb WD Caviar Black

Gainward Rampage700 4870x2 GLH
    SB XFI Platinum

Zalman 850W Modular PSU

Pedro

2. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Motherboard: If you're not looking to eventually take advantage of the four hardware-controlled SATA ports, feel free to get a cheaper alternative from either Gigabyte or someone else. The GA-EX58-UD4P, for example, is pretty much the same board as the UD5 except it a) has only two hardware-controlled SATA ports, and b) has only one Ethernet port. If you weren't going to use either of those extras, save yourself the $40 difference.

RAM: Again, if only to save money, Corsair Dominator is a bit expensive for its performance level. You could try this set of G-Skills, which has slightly lower latency than the Dominator, uses slightly less voltage, and also costs about $25 less.

Hard Drives: Unless you already own the 500GB drive, you really shouldn't be bothering with it. If you're really just planning on using one as a boot and one as file storage, either get a large drive (like the 1TB Western Digital or the 1.5TB Seagate) and partition it into a system partition and a data partition, or get two hard drives and use one as each. If you insist on doing it that way (and you don't already have the 500GB drive), either get a 640GB drive or a small SSD like a 64GB from G-Skill. Either option will give you increased speeds over the 500GB drive, it just depends on what suits your needs.

Sound Card: If you're using Vista (and you should be getting Home Premium 64-bit to go with this), you should know that Creative drivers have... issues. There's modded versions out there that work fairly well, but if you'd rather not deal with it then go for the Asus Xonar DX or Xonar D1, depending on which kind of slot you want it to take up.

- Diosjenin -

3. Postmodum

Thanks for the reply :)

Well, i just got a update ... the store can get me the Gainward Rampage 700 but they told me that they don't like the customer support ... RMA's can take 1 month ...

So, i need an option ...

I really don't like the 4870x2 cooling :| but ... or that

or go to a single core solution ... or go to Nvidia and get a GTX280.

Screen resolution will be 1920x1200

4. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Just a wee comment, even S-Flex's are going to be a bit loud at 1900rpm. In push-pull on my TRUE, 1000rpm antec tricools are enough to take me to 3.6Ghz on my Q6600. If you aren't going to be using a fan controller or 4 pin pwm fans, get something slower. Maybe the 1200rpm models of the s-flexs.

5. Diosjenin

^^You also have a CPU that's 35W TDP lower than the one in this build. The extra airflow headroom is a valid overcompensation, I think, especially when a fan controller can be so easily added later if the noise becomes an issue.

If you had your heart set on a 4870X2 with a third-party cooler, ASUS also makes one...

- Diosjenin -

6. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

the samsung spinpoint f1 1tb are significantly faster than the WD.
    the GTX 295 are being released on the 8th, (hopefully.) ever considered one?

7. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I'm very happy with my Gigabyte UD5 board and my i7 920. HardOCP seemed to really like the UD5 too - great board. Not sure on the differences compared to the UD4P though.

I went with the cheaper Corsair 1333Mhz memory, I haven't overclocked it yet so I really don't know how it compares. I'm happy though, it was £60 cheaper than the 1600Mhz stuff. :)

8. Diosjenin

Oreon_237 makes a good point about the hard drive. The F1s have been known to be somewhat consistently faster than the WD Caviar Blacks (the 1TB models, anyway). If you can find F1s at the same price point, shoot for that (those?).

I would strongly, strongly recommend against the GTX295, though. Remember the 9800GX2? Soft launch, performance crown for a little while, flaky driver support, and now no driver support at all? Yeah. Take a wild guess what's going to happen this time around.

- Diosjenin -

9. Postmodum

Thank you so much for the support people.

I just decided and waiting for the GTX285 for next week...

well, i had good experiences with the WD so far ... lets see ... i didn't bought it yet.

As for the S-Flex ... lets see ... my current right has some noisy 80mm fans ... lets hope that they aren't as loud ... :d

10. Postmodum

Well the computer was ordered but without graphics card ...

i will wait until next week ... i guess i'm going to a GTX285 for single core gpu ... it will give me the possibility to buy another one in the future if needed...

Well nothing decided yet

11. Postmodum

Ok, confirmed, i went with the GTX 285 :)

12. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Cool, sounds like a good choice to me. Enjoy the new rig. :)

13. Postmodum

Need some help choosing fans people.

I want highflow fans. I'm not very sensible to noise although i rather have something that does go well above the 30dB's. In the Scythe family ... i was checking the 1900rpm S-Flex for 35dB's ... i don't know if that's really too much and if i should go to the 1600rpm 28dB's ...

What do you think?