1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking i7 overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kenco_uk, 16 Jul 2009.

1. Vatrik

Vatrik What's a Dremel?

Thanks for very fast reply.
    Now I have stock cooler, but I know I need a better cooler.
    Maybe Corsair H50, or something better
    Can you give me some advice about a cooler that will give me the best results with overclocked i7.

Also, I was thinking of buying new RAM with higher speed to overclok more.
    Which one do you think I should look at, that will fit to my EX58 DS4?

2. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

i really like the titan fenrir. i have mine running very happily at 4ghz with a max temp of 72 degrees under load.

you should be able to find one for about 30 quid which is very reasonable.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Perhaps turn speedstep off when finding the ceiling of your cpu, but be sure to switch it back on when you're done. You don't need a 4Ghz behemoth of a cpu to insert an image into a Word doc, do you?

4. barndoor101

depends how big the image is :p

5. Vatrik

Vatrik What's a Dremel?

I can`t find any speedstep options in my BIOS.
    Is there maybe other name for that option?

6. barndoor101

try 'Advanced Clock control' or 'advanced cpu features'

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Hey lads what is classed as a low voltage to get 4ghz stable for a i920?

I have a new chip here and it has passed nearly 100 rounds of linx on max mem while using just 1.237 volts?

8. Vatrik

Vatrik What's a Dremel?

I am still looking for cooler for the i7, for overclocking.
    Can you help me with some advices?

9. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

Corsair H50 is what I am getting for my build

10. barndoor101

is this with LLC on or off? usually you need 1.275-1.3 for a 4ghz OC

11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

With LLC off on this p6t my volts drop to sub 1.2 so I have to keep it on. That said all it does is keep the volts at what they should be, I dont see any surge to 1.3 or anything like that.

12. barndoor101

try going to 1.3v and turn LLC off, see if that can pass prime95

wormy likes this.
  13. wormy

wormy Minimodder

+1 to barndoor. I've applied his numbers to my own machine and it seems to be runningly wonderfully at 4Ghz :)

barn, you have + rep :thumb: Thanks mate for that and for your helpful replies to my questions.

14. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Hi,

I just did a quick overclock on my i7 920, pushing the bclk to 150, and leaving everything else on auto.

I ran prime 95 and watched the temps soar, here's an image showing the temps after a few minutes of prime

I didn't change the voltages or do anything other than a quick and dirty upping of the baseclock

Are these temps because of the volts being applied, so, could I bring them back down by lowering the voltage and still maintaining my overclock?

Thanks

15. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

You don't need that. mine is happy with just 1.2v @ 3.6ghz and will go upto about 70 degrees tops in prime.

16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yeah, for the love of God don't leave your voltages on Auto when overclocking, 1.28V is way too much for 3.15GHz. It should be able to do that even on stock voltage (whatever that is).

17. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Fixed :)
    Set it to 1.200 and it will be happy as a pig in mud.

18. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Is it as simple as that? Is there a tried and trusted method of finding out the right voltage?

What about the other voltages? I'm just thinking about CPU Vcore...

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Although for a different motherboard, this explains what you should be doing for the different voltages. You probably won't have to increase any of them if you're just going for a mild ~3.2GHz overclock though, which is why Slizza suggested a voltage of 1.2V (which will be near the stock voltage, it depends on your specific CPU though).

Unfortunately it'll probably take a while to fine tune your voltages if you want to go for higher GHz. The way I go about high overclocks is to work upwards slowly, but there isn't necessarily a right way and you can just try setting a frequency and a voltage from the start and tweaking from there, or some set the voltage to the maximum safe value and their desired speed, and work it down from there. Anyway, here's what I do if I'm going for a high overclock (or what I would do if I had a 920):

1. Turn off all the things you don't need like Turbo Boost, Spread Spectrum, plus Speedstep and C1E if you want to, though I'm not too sure it makes a great difference. Enable LLC. Disable auto voltage control and enter settings manually.
    2. Increase all other voltages to settings like those in the above article (which should be good for 4GHz). Set your RAM as close to its rated frequency and voltage as you are able to, but also loosen the timings slightly by maybe a clock cycle from what they are rated to run at.
    3. Increase the base clock in increments of ~5 (100MHz if using 20x multiplier) from a frequency you know is stable at stock voltage (like 3.2GHz) until it's no longer stable or won't boot (I only do this because I like to know what my CPU can do at stock, you can start a bit higher with increased voltage if you want).
    4. Increase the Vcore by a few increments and then work the base clock up steadily again, testing Prime 95 for say 30 mins initially and keeping an eye on temperatures. When it's no longer stable, up the Vcore again, rinse and repeat until you reach your desired frequency or you are limited by temperatures. Remember not to go over ~1.45V on the Vcore.
    5. Fine tune the base clock in increments of 1-2 if it's not stable or if you want to want to push it a little bit further. Also experiment with different combinations of base clock and multiplier, you can often achieve better results with a lower multiplier and higher base clock. Tighten the RAM timings if possible.
    6. If you want to run this overclock 24/7, then I'd recommend running Prime95/Orthos or your other stress testing program of choice for anywhere from 12-24 hours, making sure temperatures never exceed 80 (although that's probably a bit too high for my liking, 70-75 would be a better upper limit).

How far you want to go with overclocking is up to you, however. The fan on the Fenrir gets pretty noisy at 2300RPM, so you need to decide whether a faster but noisier PC is more important to you than a quiet PC.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2009
    earlydoors likes this.
  20. barndoor101

the fan is noisy, but you wont ever put a prime95-esque load on the cpu in normal use.

i guess its just there to give peace of mind that you could run 100% 4ghz without things melting.

anyway, crossfire HD4890s make more of a racket than the fenrir ever could so im good lol