1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IBM details 5.2GHz processor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 26 Aug 2010.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

you know Im starting to get tired of the Crysis ref. yes it was a poorly coded and bloated game so it caused people to have highend systems to play it but really can we move on now ~_~

2. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the z-os tidbits, sounds like some heavy duty stuff.

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Which one of those options actually runs a program?

4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I wish IMB would enter the mainstream market again =(

5. MAXDEST

MAXDEST What's a Dremel?

I work on these machines (not these specific ones, but mainframes in general) and whilst the green screen presented above is about as 'fun' as they get, you can't deny the processing power. They are a lot more powerfull than a straight clock speed comparison to PC's as well, given to the low level operating systems, nearly unlimited storage and communication pipes and software that is sometimes still hand-crafted in assembler (something that hasn't happened on PC's since the heyday of original quake).

As for the chips, even selling the hardware at the massive prices they do IBM probably don't make a huge profit. However the software charging model on mainframes is generally on the basis of either the max CPU speed or CPU seconds used (MIPS). If you have one of these beasts running licenced software IBM, CA and the other big mainframe software people basically have the business on a massive WoW style subscription plan.

6. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

And I'm getting tired of people saying it's poorly coded when they have no idea if that's the case. Crytek made it pretty clear they wanted to make a game that would scale just as well on future hardware as it did on older hardware. I can't understand PC enthusiasts bashing the only game in the past 5 years that's actually required an upgrade.

7. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

If nothing else, most PC gamers know of Crysis even if they never played it. References to it are everywhere. 10 years from now people will still be making jokes about Crysis and how it would take a whole network of computers to run with all the bells and whistles turned on to the maximum.

Tags: Add Tags