1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IBM heats university via supercomputer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mjm25

mjm25 New Member

how do they get the water to 60C in the first place to introduce into the system? haha

...someone put the kettle on...

3. PT88

PT88 New Member

if i understand correctly the water is part of the Universitys Heating system, so the water in the heating loop will probably be 60 degrees. I guess its jus a matter of taking some "used" water from the system to cool the Rig, ie water that has already been thru radiators

Good idea

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The two loops are separate. No water is taken from the heating through the computer.

The rack itself will heat the water to 60'C without too much trouble from nothing anyway - just lower the flow of the water. Even if they did use a kettle, don't forget you'll only have to heat the water to 60'C once too - it doesn't go off every night like normal computers.

Clever idea really - in summer when the heating's off they can just keep exchanging the heat with the giant heating system anyway, so no worries about overheating!

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If anything, I'm more surprised that this hasn't been done before.

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I read not too long ago about a plan to exhaust server room heat into large greenhouses. This is not dissimilar. Makes perfect sense to me. There was also that other plan involving an offshore tidal generator off the north of Scotland, the difficulty being the cost and inefficiency of moving the power generated hundreds of miles to civilisation. The genius plan was to build a server farm up there to soak up the majority of the power, use the waste heat to warm greenhouses, connect to the local grid to feed in spare power or receive top-up power where needed, and just have a bundle of fibre-optics going up there rather than dirty great UHV power lines. Smart thinking I say.

7. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

I have seen someone heat a swimming pool online with 4 computers? Or help too heat it.

8. p3n

p3n New Member

Google have been pioneering things like this for a while now, basically people realised that you dont need to keep data centers at -20 degrees - I believe Googles' most nerdy datacenter uses an evaporation tower to get rid of excess joules...

9. Evildead666

Evildead666 New Member

Google also did a test about HDD's, where the cold, warm, and hot disks were tallied from the dead disks.
    They found that more disks went funny if they were kept cold and/or hot, but the longest life was warm.
    Or so I remember.
    Basically, you didn't need to keep the disks cold was the output.

I find 60C a bit high for a starting point, but they will have tested it to death, and a security will be in place so nothing will fry.
    A very good idea.

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

60c is perfectly within the operating range of modern processors. They're not trying to overclock them, after all, so there's no real need to cool, just to keep the chips from overheating.

11. I-E-D

I-E-D New Member

Exactly my though son :)

So how many normal computers would I need to watercool them all providing enough heat to all the radiators in my house?

:D make one massive loop. 5 i7 OC'd i7 Computers, attached to 1000mm radiators, and a huge waterpump. Sorted :) Well, bye bye heating bills, hello electricty :S

12. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I've been considering using my loop for underfloor heating! although leak detection would mean pulling the floor up!

13. Goty

Goty New Member

The water is 60C, not the processors. You've got to keep in mind the CPU-water temp delta. Granted, assuming their system doesn't royally suck, their delta shouldn't be anywhere near high enough to matter.

As for the system itself, 10 TFLOPS seems kind of... low...

Seriously, there are plenty of enthusiasts out there that approach half this computing power on video cards alone.

14. kempez

kempez modding again!

That's pretty cool (;))

Our data centre is used to heat the building too :)

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

This suggests itself as a combined technology with that remote game playing thing, where the game runs remotely and sends you the result as a video image. Scale that up a few orders of magnitude, and you've got a civic computer cluster that serves a whole town, and provides heat to it as well.

Of course we'll all be living in arcologies by the time that happens...

P

16. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Like an extension of combined heat and power: combined heat power and computing :)

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

my computer has been heating my room for years! It was the only thing to keep me warm at night in uni halls, had it running intels burn test to keep it at 100% load over night.

18. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Active Member

I read another article about the same setup where the water temp was 40°C.
    Nice initiative though.

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

very cool but I doubt it's a new idea

In the colder day around here I'll leave my computer on (running a 75% with Fold@home) to keep warm

20. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

see i said i should have patented my idea, lol

Tags: Add Tags