1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Icann takes first steps towards IPv6

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 22 Jul 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Korea and Japan first, followed by our cross channel cousins. This from VNUNet:

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (Icann) has taken its first steps towards implementing the next generation of internet protocol (IP), by adding IPv6 addresses to the DNS root server system.

IPv6 can provide trillions more addresses than the IPv4 standard currently in use today.

More here

2. KryoNexus

KryoNexus What's a Dremel?

Can't wait for it to be implemented across the board. That way, I can stop hearing my cable company say

"We can't give out static IP addresses because there just aren't enough of them for every user to have...blah, blah, blah"

regardless, i'll probably always use dyndns for my home box, but a static address could come in handy. although, if every terminal on the internet had a static address, it could make the lives of hackers alot easier. no need to run a program to email the updated IP address of an infected box. just grab a pen and paper and write down the IP.

3. vs9

vs9 What's a Dremel?

Pen and Paper? lol

I'm glad to see the IPv6 is starting to be implemented.. i hate having to try and configure servers from behind NATs.. though the likelyhood that that will change (everyone being able to be assigned a static IP from ISPs) is probably very small...

Tags: Add Tags