1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU iCore vs Core 2 duo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arj12, 6 May 2010.

1. Arj12

Arj12 New Member

I'm wanting to buy a laptop for university but I'm a little confused as to the difference between icore and core 2 duo. It seems that there is a general consensus that icore is better than core 2 duo but I want u know what each tire of the icore series is comparable to the core 2 duos.

Eg, is a core i3 comparable to t6500 (and if so what kind of performance gains/ bettery life gains are we looking at)
    Is core i5 better than P8600 (in terms of energy consumption and speed)

I have tried looking on the internet for direct comparison between the two families of processors but as far as I can see, there doesn't seem to be a lot on it!

Thanks in advance for the help :rock:

2. ripmax

ripmax Active Member

I'm guessing they would be better, but i haven't seen any reviews/benchmarks so i can't confirm this.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

icore is the newest tech and therefore will be more efficient, but don't let that stop you from picking up a good dual core bargain

4. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I've heard reports that actually the CULV Core 2 chips were so efficient that the new iChips use more power, and are only minimally faster (at greater expense).

Can't remember source though :confused:

I'm in the same boat as you, weighing up laptops for Uni, looking for a 13incher that's not out-of-date as soon as I've bought it. :sigh:

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

From my understanding the notebook Core i3's are the Celeron's of the Intel Core i series.
    I don't think it's a good buy. You might be better off with a aCore i5.

However, PLEASE wait for reviews and benchmarks... Take my comment above as a grain of salt.

6. GingerFox

GingerFox New Member

They are nowhere near the celeron end, as they have pentium below i3 and i beleive they are looking into releasing an actual celeron for the new sockets.

7. Arj12

Arj12 New Member

I seriously doubt i3 is in celeron close to the celeron stage. I reckon it's near something like a t4600 or something (unless i just made up a new processor :p) The problem is that we can't really judge as of yet as we don't have anything synthetic or real world benchmarks to go by. I just wish someone would go ahead and make one already!!!

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Celeron is the low end/rejects of Pentium's.
    That is what I meant, when I said that the i3's are the Celeron's of the Core i series. I did not mean they are PHYSICALLY Celeron's.

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I think the lads are using it as a comparison rather than saying that the i3 is as bad as the old celeron...i.e the new i5 750 is the equivalent of the the old Q6600.

Then again I may have read this all wrong, in which case just ignore me:D

Last edited: 6 May 2010
  10. Arj12

Arj12 New Member

Reading through this I still don't have a much better view on the i series.
    Why couldn't intel just produce synthetic benchmarks for each cpu they produced and post them on their website! It would make life sooo much easier =P

11. seanbean

seanbean Certa Cito