1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News id: Rage being held back by Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Sep 2008.

1. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Embarass myself by being right? OK, he was wrong on both fronts, for one, the GPU in the 360 is a slower X1900XT, and has no Dx10, Pc had DX10 Video cards in 2006 (Not 2007) as I purchased by 8800GTS in 2006, says so on my EVGA registration page right now. The PS2 was more advanced when it was released then the 360, at least it had blu-ray, and more features like built in wireless.

2. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

Putting five dvd's into a computer once is really quite different then swapping them out of a console(most likely located across a room) every time you wan't to play a game. And for the PS3 it's even easier, one disk and a hdd.

3. johnmustrule

I get what your saying but your completely in the false. DX any version has never been made for a console, it's feature list is actually smaller than either the Xbox's or the PS3's, why? Because consoles don't have the compatability requirements that PC's do, most PC's are different from one another so the industry creates "standards" so that programs behave similarly on each PC although not necesarily at the same speed. The Xbox's gpu is based quite closely on the ATI technologies of the time but they aren't comparable, when a developers programing for the Xbox they know what the systems gonna have and they can hone it to those requirements and make their software effiecient for that specific machine, with a PC they have to meet about 3 different standards and provide options for all the possibilities in between. An 8800GTS is in many ways faster than the xbox's but it's not nessesarily better, the xbox's gpu has quite a few more features and is more exspandable. Need I remind you all that Twilight Princess for the Game Cube was nearly on par graphically with games for the PC at the time of it's release, and better in some cases. All this and the Game Cube's gpu had been designed no less than six+ years prior to it's release.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I remember the days of seven floppy discs (remember installing office on 3.11 used to be 11 flops)
    Or eight CD's for one game. And now people complain about two DVD's?

It probably is DVD9 also so maybe the game needs two DVD9 discs. So what?

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Actually giving it some thought I'm not surprised Rage is looking to be a pretty huge install: the big advance with idTech 5 is unique texturing, as in no more titling. This almost by definition is going to require huge amounts of space, so it somewhat doesn't suprise me of the size requirements.

I personally think it's more interesting that their solution to size problems is to make bigger levels. What kind of crazy perverse engine is this?

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

11 discs? You obviously don't remember Win95/98 installs

7. Lepermessiah

Dude, Consoles use openGL and Direct X 9, what planet you live on? Twilight Princess looked as good as PC games at the time? LOL, what did you play games on LOW? Consoles use the EXACR tech tat PC uses at the time, where else do you think the tech comes from, they invent it just for consoles and only use it for them? lol You have spread so much mis-information on this tread already. Yous aid 360 had dx10, WRONG, you said PC did not get Dx10 until 2007, WRONG, you said 360 does not use DX, DUH, it does, MS's whole strategy is to use XNA toosl to make cross development for PC/360 easier and uses DX9c, even states the GPU in the 360 is DX9, and you also said it is based on the 2900 chip, WRONG again. Learn some facts and come back please.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/24/xbox-360-cant-run-directx-10-confirms-ati/

Uses Dx 9, all article and specs prove that. If it didn't use Opengl or DX10 what else is there fool?

The feature list is smaller? Want to back that up? Post some proof or STFU, because you are full of crap. The feature list of DX10 is much bigger then what any console uses, get real. Stop spreading console BS propaganda. 360 only used what was already available for PC at the time, whereelse do you think it gets its tech/hardware from? You really ned to get your head out of the sand with regards to the consoles. The feature list is the same at launch, then false behind PC sortly after, same as every generation.

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Found one article which goes into a bit of depth:

source - http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/4/2

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Gaming master race snobbery ++++

11. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Whoa, bit harsh i think.

That's just common business practices and standard marketing techniques, nothing more drastic than say, iPhones being eclusive to AT&T or 02. Look at the video card industry -- I do recall, some years back (and prolly still now) how many developers were either pro-Nvidia and anti-ATi or vice versa. In order to get the best out of the game meant you needed one of the speciality cards. To play an Nvidia-biased (not a typo) game means to have an Nvidia card, which some of the newest gen ones are significantly more expensive than any console.

Of course that's your opinion. But I wouldn't say "suck" and I *certainly* wouldnt' agree they hold back PC development.

What you have to remember is, regardless of who or what system can do it best, it's about who can get the most *exposure* to the highest number of gamers and therefore highest sales. And nowadays, on a mass market, sadly, it isn't PC gamers. No, I'm not anti-PC as I started off as a PC gamer and will always be one, but consoles represent a very easy way to hit a high number of consumers because the platforms are universal and consistant, unlike how every PC is virtually unique.

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Yup, definitely, and people wonder why us console gamers get pissed off by PC gamers.

Religion anyone?

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Hail to the king baby.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, Xenos is not D3D9c or D3D10. In some respects it supersedes even D3D10 specifications.

15. Lepermessiah

16. Lepermessiah

They get pissed off because the truth hurts, and they know it.

17. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

Design a new console for xbox .Dont cut the Game.

18. johnmustrule

I see now why people say you embarrass yourself on every forum. Lets start with some facts:

-The Xbox as was previously stated does in fact use a proprietary version of DX, I worded my sentence in correctly so let me restate. The XBOX360 does not use a PC compatable version of DX, key words being "PC compatable" which goes to support the specialization I point out in the rest of my post. Why not just stick a normal gpu from a computer in there? because with a console you have the unique ability to make a proprietary and easy to develop for API and hardware. This allows flexibility for programmers to add features not locked into a PC gpu, adding infinite specialization and an infinatly larger feature list this way consoles will not be made obsolete by a few api updates. They're flexible a PC is not!

Here's the damn scource! It's the fuking wiki page about DX, maybe you should "get some facts and come back please" and fyi: the xbox uses a version of DX similar to 8.1 not 9 :jawdrop: but the games still look great! why??? specialization.... duhz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

"Yous aid 360 had dx10, WRONG, you said PC did not get Dx10 until 2007, WRONG, you said 360 does not use DX, DUH, it does, MS's whole strategy is to use XNA toosl to make cross development for PC/360 easier and uses DX9c, even states the GPU in the 360 is DX9, and you also said it is based on the 2900 chip, WRONG again."

-What the **** are you talking about!? I've posted twice and you cant find any of that in either post are you ****ing insane? DX for the xbox is so rudimentary it's hardly DX it's basically the foundation upon which all the features (in this case specializations) are added and if you have that foundation it's sort-a easy to recode the effects for the PC, I might have worded "a" scentence badly but where the **** did you get that **** from?

-Finally specialization is even better for the PS3 which is almost a blank canvas as far as API goes which means it is going to coninue to be brilliant for quite some time. I'm a average level 3D artist, and I can tell you right now that resolution is not the only deciding factor in rendering, it's possibly the least important part. Effects take up a lot of the proccesing time, and the specialized cpu of the PS3 and the GPU's of any console allow them to compete for several years with PC's especially this generation where the chips in consoles can (and in the PS3's case still does) out preform a PC's from launch day. Albeit only at gaming specific tasks which is what this conversation is about, no?

-Lets take my twilight princess example into perspective. This is a game deviloped on inferior but streachable and specialized technology for it's time and six years after that technologies conception this game was released into a world where graphical standards where reaching new hights.

Zelda-

clicky

clicky

clicky

clicky

clicky

Battle Field 1942-

clicky

clicky

And the pinnacle, Oblivion:

clicky I think that pretty much sums that up.

Can Twilight princess compete with Oblivion in sheer graphical fidelity? No, but it's fair to say that oblivion (which I own on console and PC) even on max is not 5 times better than TW not even three. Battle field 2142's character models where depressing, you can slap an HD texture on anything and call it good but does it convince me? No, TW's models are belivable and not distractinly unreal they may even be on par with Oblivions, I know that when I sit down to play any of these games which where all AAA titles that Zelda's going to be more immersive than either of the others because the animations are well done the textures are smooth and the exspressions are realistic, somthing that tottaly out does oblivions angry glances and wierd wrinkles, and BF2142's HD goodness. No, TW isn't graphically on par with these games but for tech that's six years old at the time it's pretty impressive and stands it's ground under these goliaths. Mind you this is listing the crem of the crop, not all the **** that actually looked worse than TW.

shits and gold nuggets

I love my PC, it takes up 90% of my gaming time. But when I don't want to mess around with updates and drivers and random crashes, OS problems and trying to get things running in HD. I switch on my consoles, because I know it is quite a bit less likely to bite me, and in many ways my consoles still out preform my $1200 PC that was purchased after the PS3 was released, and trust me this bitch was a steal.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2008
  19. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

You should buy a console as you sound like all the little pissy, moaning kids that shout and swear like a clanger with tourettes down the microphone while i'm playing COD4. You would fit right in with your well thought and reasoned arguments.

20. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Tags: Add Tags