1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage IDE v AHCI, Marvell v Intel v Highpoint SATA3, etc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bluespider42, 26 Oct 2010.

1. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

Ok, I have just bought a new SSD - 128Gb Crucial C300 with the 002 firmware, I have a gigabyte X58A-UDR3 rev2 motherboard on the original FA BIOS.
    I would like some advice on how best to set it up.
    Ihave just plugged it into on of the Marvell SATA3 ports and installed windows and let it install any drivers automatically (not the marvell ones I think). All my hard drives are in IDE mode (I have a F3 as well for storage) but I then read that AHCI is better. I also have read some conflicting advice on which ports/drivers to use whether a SATA3 card like the highpoint one is needed etc. etc.

I am perfectly prepared to do a clean install again but would like to get it right this time, so any advice would be great.

Also I would like to avoid an add in card unless you can convince me otherwise, and enabling ahci seems to add quite a bit of time spent in post screen - is this normal. Lastly should I update my BIOS or not bother unless something is causing an issue.

Thanks for your help,

2. PocketDemon

PocketDemon What's a Dremel?

Quickly running through -

You won't get the full speed of the C300 on the Marvell ports (run your own tests to prove it one way or another for yourself) - the highpoint card bittech recommend isn't a great investment (as you can only run a single 6Gb/s SSD on it) & many people have reported poor speeds (luck of the draw), though a better card will be many £££s...

Having said that, with proper 6Gb/s SSDs out at the beginning of next year then it's a reasonable investment - something like the lsi 9260-4i or 8i cards (which have a very good rep for SSDs).

ahci is faster than (legacy) ide mode - & obviously you can choose raid mode & any drives not in an array will be ahci.

& yes, updating the bios & any f/w is almost always worth doing - there will be a whole host of tweaks & bug fixes, though there is an argument to leave it a couple of weeks after a new update release (unless it fixes a problem you actually have) to let other people test it (checking forums & whatnot).

bluespider42 likes this.
  3. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

hmm those lsi cards are a little out of my budget...
    so ahci is faster - it seems to add an extra stage when the bios is loading is this right?
    any thoughts on whether the intel sata2 or the marvell stat3 ports are better for my boot drive and should the marvell drivers be used or the microsft ones?
    Thanks for your help,

4. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

This thread might be of use: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=194244

To chime in myself...

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've had better benches than this, but I don't see that as being limited by the controller on my board.

However, stay away from the Marvell drivers. There is uncertainty as to whether they actually work with TRIM, and I haven't seen any posts recommending them over the standard msahci drivers.
    Use your C300 with the Sata III ports, stick with your HDDs on the ICH10.

I take it you are you still booting from a hard drive?

bluespider42 likes this.
  5. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

I get:
    AS SSD Benchmark 1.5.3784.37609
    ------------------------------
    Name: C300-CTFDDAC128MAG ATA Device
    Firmware: 0002
    Controller: msahci
    Offset: 1024 K - OK
    Size: 119.24 GB
    Date: 26/10/2010 19:06:15
    Sequential:
    Read: 343.35 MB/s
    Write: 135.35 MB/s
    4K:
    Read: 25.04 MB/s
    Write: 44.40 MB/s
    4K-64Threads:
    Read: 169.48 MB/s
    Write: 117.36 MB/s
    Access Times:
    Read: 0.150 ms
    Write: 0.799 ms
    Score:
    Read: 229
    Write: 175
    Total: 521
    Running on the Sata3 port with ahci and the ms drivers

So as mine is the 128Gb version I guess they're comparable.

The SSD is currently my boot drive and when I installed it it was set in IDE mode on the sata3 port and the boot time was very quick when I changed to ahci it was alot slower, then even when i changed back to ide it is still slower. I know the boot time isn't the be all and end all but it is an easy way to guage the hard drive.

What do you reckon about my F3, it is on the ICH10 in ahci at the moment but have the ICH10 sata2 ports in ahci seems to add an extra stage in the bios post process which increases the boot time.

Thanks for your replies,

6. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Seems like a solid benchmark result.

I remember reading that Windows can be troublesome when installed on a drive using IDE and then being swapped to AHCI later on. That might explain the slowdown.

IDE is the legacy standard - AHCI should be superior... I really don't know why the POST would take longer set to AHCI.

7. brave758

brave758 What's a Dremel?

Mate first thing i'd say is flash the mobo bios. The FB bios updates the firmware for the sata 3 controller

bluespider42 likes this.
  8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

The post can take longer when on AHCI due to SATA DVD drives.

On my mobo, there is a setting to allow you to add a longer delay to allow the mobo to detect the SATA optical drives.

bluespider42 likes this.
  9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it loads in after post and detects all devices- oops ninja'd

bluespider42 likes this.
  10. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

Ok, updated BIOS, enabled ahci for the sata3 ports, is there an advantage to ahci over ide on the ich10 ports, i have my dvd drive and my f3 connected to it? - The article on onboard sata3 was an interesting read this morning,
    Thanks for everyones advice,