1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics [idea] fireproof ccfl sircuit

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mr.Nonflex, 21 Dec 2004.

1. Mr.Nonflex

Mr.Nonflex What's a Dremel?

I want some CCFL's in my casemod, but i seem to read about ccfl's inverters catching on fire more and more, so it got me worried. I wonder if the electonic enthousiasts on bit-tech.net could start a project on a CCFL inverter circuit thats less prone to couse firehazzards. Perhaps with a shortcircuite fuze, and the right size to house it in a alluminium housing.

And if we are designing, we could also include some effects of somesort.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2004
  2. TMM

TMM Modder

Its the capacitors that blow up and burn, the solution is to use higher quality Capacitors :duh: there is no other way (and thats why no companys do it any other way :\)

3. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Um, wrap the inverter in fire retardant tape? Buy a real inverter?

4. Mr.Nonflex

Mr.Nonflex What's a Dremel?

So if i understand it correctly if i buy a quality condensator, and house the lot in an aluminium casing, i it should take care of the problem.
    And with quality you mean better brand, of higher voltage?

5. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

Condensator?? Do you mean Capacitor?

6. Rubes

Rubes What's a Dremel?

ROFL :lol: "condensator" is dutch for capacitor. :baby:

7. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Yes. If you replace the capacitors on your inverter board with better quality ones, you should get no problems. By better quality, I mean the same value of capacitance as the old capacitors you are replacing, but rated to operate at a higher voltage, and preferably with the same or lower esr. (Equivalent series resistance).

Even if the cheap capacitors do 'blow up', in my experience, they rarely burn. If you keep the inverter in a small die cast metal box, there is no chance that exploding capacitors will set fire to your PC. It is also pretty unlikley that a faulty inverter will electrically damage any parts of your PC either, expecially if you run the inverter of a separate power cable to everything else.

To be fair, if you buy good quality inverters in the first place, there's no need to worry anyway.