1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Ideas for a budget netbook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urobulos, 18 Sep 2011.

1. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

My flatmate asked me to help him out with choosing a cheap, basic netbook. The problem is, I normally only follow what's going on with the desktops so I have a very vague idea, especially when it comes to the budget end.

So here is the list of tasks the netbooks has to do:

-editing 1-2 page word documents on the go

and that's pretty much it... I tried to explain to him that he can do this easily on his shiny new Samsung Galaxy S2 and that spending 200£ on a portable typing machine is a bit of a waste, but he is... how to put it, tech resistant and slow to embrace change. For example he wouldn't want to move his account from Yahoo to Gmail because it's "too much hassle".

Anyway... I'm getting off topic. He has a laptop that he uses at home for multimedia and web browsing and the netbook will be used for very light office work: modifying price quotations, receipts etc. First thing I considered was this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/101-...10ghz-1gb-250gb-hdd-webcam-win7-starter-brown because of the C-50, but it comes with a relatively hefty price tag and might be overkill.

Second idea was http://www.scan.co.uk/products/101-...hz-1gb-ddr3-250gb-hdd-windows-7-starter-black I read quite a few positive reviews when it comes to Asus netbooks. They're supposedly more comfortable when it comes to keyboard layout and build quality. At least as much as it's possible to achieve that with a budget product for below 250£.

Last one was http://www.scan.co.uk/products/101-...m-n455-166ghz-1gb-250gb-hdd-windows-7-starter This is the cheapest, but has a single core atom. On a desktop I'd never even consider a single core cpu, but I have no clue when it comes to netbooks. I'm expecting even this should handle what he wants it to do, but probably sooner or later he will play a youtube video or run a music player in the background.

Right now I'm leaning towards choice no2.

2. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

The benchmarks place the N550. If you are going to look at AMD, look at the A4 which is probably in your price range. Also the N550 with Optimus is the sweet spot in the budget range I believe.

3. Byron C

Byron C Necromancers are just healers with bad timing

Does it *have* to be a netbook? Why not consider something like a secondhand/refurbed business-class machine, such as the IBM ThinkPad T41? If you shop around a little, you can get these 14" machines in good condition for around £100. Full size keyboard, decent screen size, good battery life, rugged, etc. It's not going to set any speed records, but with a dirt cheap RAM upgrade and possibly a replacement battery, it'll be more than you could possibly need for basic office work (battery life was very good on these machines, so a replacement may not even be necessary). You might even be able to get Win7 to run on it!

I have a Dell Mini 9 netbook and, while it's a great little machine, it's useless for any kind of work - the keys are just too small. I tried using it to write some Arduino code last weekend and it was painful - this coming from someone who regularly uses compact keyboards like the Apple Wireless KB.

Plus StinkPads ThinkPads are built like tanks and will take more than their fair share of abuse. Not to mention that you/your friend would probably save a fortune :).