1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding ideas needed !!!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Graffix, 5 Jul 2005.

1. Graffix

Graffix What's a Dremel?

well here it is my first post ................ :D

anyway ive got this old Compaq presario 4505 sitting next to me and want to do something with it . I NEED SOME IDEAS , hopefully i will turn it into a pc sitting next to my room tv. i want tv out and want to use it to be a surfing pc and maby a file server for my home network. ill leave the rest up to you :idea:

heres some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:dremel: try to keep it cheap :rock:

2. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Too slow to me a TV comp, I would say just use it as a Smoothwall or a file server. If you do smoothwall you can run it in the headless mode.

3. Graffix

Graffix What's a Dremel?

nah i dont mind upgrading the hardware. i just wana keep it cheap, i was thinkg about what i can do with the case aswell ?

4. RFID

RFID What's a Dremel?

If you want it in the sitting room - i'd suggest getting some black or tan leather or both, and covering the main body of the case except for where the CD bays are - that I would probably spray gloss black and install a QT110 from qprox.com as a touch-sensitive powerbutton - so the whole fascia is clean and simple, then stealth the CD drive with gloss black acrylic or something then finish the edges off with some chrome L-shape runners.

The case loos too small and too cramped to do a window any justice, and it is also too packed inside to really play around with lighting options - so the simple external asthetics is the best option available.

5. Graffix

Graffix What's a Dremel?

the hardware still needs upgrading , i mean its 166 mhz running on 95 (NIGHTMARE) what do u think i can do there

6. invader crack

invader crack What's a Dremel?

hehe thats the same case i sold to my buddy a few months:lol: only the system was a 300mhz proc, i'll have to remeber to cheack this project out when it gets goin he might have sum input too hes been staring at it alot more then i have :hip:

7. zackbass

zackbass What's a Dremel?

That's the same case as my second computer! Pentium 200Mhz, 2.4GB Quantum Bigfoot HDD. I still have the disk in my toolbox as a known good for troubleshooting and the CD-ROM as a case modding mockup part. Upgrading the hardware is going to be impossible without some major case hacking. It uses a PCI riser board and IIRC is AT (as in not ATX) form factor, at least for the PSU.

8. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

No way you could upgrade that case. Its custom for compaq and won't fit (even with some heavy modding) newer boards. I would say again, just use it as a firewall/ router and hide it in a closet.

9. zackbass

zackbass What's a Dremel?

It may be difficult, but hardly impossible! :dremel:

10. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

I dont know it would be REALLY hard. I mean you would have to scrap the back creating a new one out of metal or plexi. REdo all the drives cages so you could mount the PSU up at the top or mod the psu and put it in the front(not that hard). Just basically if your good at fabricating new supports and backing plates then go for it. IF not just leave the computer that is in it right now and with a good linux distro(or any OS that works good on slow comps cause windows rly doesnt) and have it as an internet pc or like a mp3 player. Now that im rly looking at the computer im kind of liking it (not the hardware but rly the case) having the psu where it is and the power buttons and such being at the top. Cut the sides things off though I cant see what they would do and dont think they would be any trouble to take off. Then take some bondo and clean up the front then stick a 120 or something up there(not rly needed but looks cool).

11. Graffix

Graffix What's a Dremel?

yeah thanks for all the ideas ppl. im just looking at it now and thought i could use it as a file server or something (dont really want to use it as a firewall/router because i think its a bit big :nono: ) ill just smarten it up, paint it black , change the LED's to blue and leave it in my room. WOW i just noticed theres is no external fans :jawdrop: . when i get my ass up and ready to do this ill post it up here so all u guys can have a look :hehe:

ps. have you guys got any ideas on the OS i should use

Thanks

12. Graffix

Graffix What's a Dremel?

anyone have any ideas on a OS that will suit this pc for a file server ????? :confused:

13. SamHain7315

SamHain7315 What's a Dremel?

I'm with tm36usa, granted the case could be modded and everything but it would be a better fileserver or firewall/router. Although you will have some problems becasue it looks like everything is a tight fit. Id say pull the hardware and see what you could do to make some more working room. other wise use it as a door stepper and go find something different for really cheap.

14. Graffix

Graffix What's a Dremel?

yeah gave up on it :sigh: just dont think its worth the time and effot :)

15. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

I suggest giving it a paintjob, considering the hardware inside a windows would be ugly.
    Or make a harddrive window, the quantum bigfoot might just be the ideal drive for it, 5.25" harddrive with a window.

I think just a paintjob would be the best.