1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU IDF 2010 Sandy Bridge K Overclocking - 4.9 Ghz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mecblade, 16 Sep 2010.

1. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That is particularly impressive, especially for the "value add" overclocker, however it still at a significant cost to 'enthusiast' overclocking:

From what I've heard so far (it could change) SB is limited to 2,133MHz DDR3, despite the fact 2,500+ is already available and higher performance parts should only get cheaper. It's an issue if you're in the performance memory industry, but we recommend 1,600C9 for LGA1156 and I can't see that changing for LGA1155 that uses even more aggressive pre-fetching. In fact, I'd put money on lower latency being better than frequency.

The biggest kicker is that no bus changes mean no uncore overclocking, where a lot of the memory performance is gained.

Questions remain on:

Budget overclocks of non-K products
    Price of K-products
    Quality of RETAIL K-products - are they all going to hit 4.5+?

Advantages of Ks:

Use of cheaper motherboards because it only depends on the CPU socket and its power provision since the bus' are all staying in normal tolerance.

3. mecblade

A good post

I am also wondering on the price of the K product range, im expecting them to be quite expensive now. If only they showed a CPU using the X68 chipset being overclocked :(

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Come back in Q2-2011 for X68 and I would be very surprised if prices didn't start at "Xeon" level of several hundred dollars imo. Intel wants to increase the average selling price and push K-series onto enthusiasts, not cheap Skt2011 parts like an i7-920/930.

The 4.9GHz was on an "i7-875K" part - it's most expensive/highest rated. No word yet on its lower "i5-750" equivalent.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Anyone know if Sandy Bridge is dual or triple memory channel?

6. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Without shelling out for the K-series overclockable parts, it seems the clock speeds won't be past what you can achieve with an i5/i7 today (~4GHz).

I anticipate that there will be work-per-clock benefits, but it seems to me that if gaming is the priority then there's not going to be much need to upgrade from an overclocked i5/i7 to Sandy Bridge ... we can probably skip straight over to the 22nm Tick (is that Ivy Bridge?) and just focus on new GPUs for a while.

7. mecblade

8. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

Hmm I was thinking of switching over to the German team after this Intel build, I guess not.
    Unless AMD can get more instructions per clock or beat 5ghz overclock because im totally going to watercool it.

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

locked bclock and multi on non k series.. how would you oc that

that'll be sick :blush: