1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Idle Temp 49-C @ 1.392V Single water cooling loop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cillerbee, 22 Feb 2012.

1. cillerbee

cillerbee What's a Dremel?

I finished my water cooling loop about 2 months ago and I noticed my idling temps from the get go was:

Core #0 49C
    Core #1 48C
    Core #2 48C
    Core #3 48C

Ambient Room Temp: 22 C

This doesn't seem right to me and even now two months later the results haven't changed.

My current CPU is a i7-920 running at 3.8 Ghz on 1.392 V (Looks like I had a very bad bin because I've tried multiple settings to get it to run @ a lower voltage at that frequency)

I also have two HD6970 in CFX with Idling temps around 50 C on an P6T Deluxe V2 mainboard.

I'm running a single water cooling setup with just the CPU. Using an XSPC Rasa CPU block, an EK-XTX 360 RAD with Push-Pull and the XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir Pump Combo with 1/2' ID Primochill Tubing in a Cooler master Haf-X case.

Im wondering if anyone might have any idea as to what the issue here is?

Thanks =)

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The first thing I would do is have the CPU block off and reapply the TIM and make sure it's seated properly.

Your idle temps should be between 15-20 degrees lower.

Also the high idle temps on the GPU's suggest there could be a lack of air flow through the case.

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Over/under applied thermal paste? The thinner the better while still keeping a good covering.

Alternately; crappy fans on the Rad, meaning it's not getting much airflow. (Both fans on push or pull could do it.)

4. cillerbee

Alright I think I'll try re applying the TIM again and post back tomorrow. The fans I'm using are:

Pull - 3x Yate Loon D12SL-124UB 120mm - Rated Speed: 2200 RPM & Max Air Flow: 88 CFM
    Push - 2x BitFenix Spectre Pro 200mm - Rated Speed: 900 RPM & Max Air Flow: 148 CFM

Have a Cooler Master 200mm Megaflow (700 RPM & 100 CFM) Fan on the front for Intake and a 140 mm (2000 RPM & 61 CFM) fan for intake in the rear.

As well as another 200 mm Megaflow (700 RPM & 100 CFM) fan on the side for graphic card which is also intake.

All fans are running at 80% of their max speed.

--------------------------------

THANKS to everyone that mentioned i should check the TIM.

I went to remove the TIM when I noticed a very thin plastic film on the Rasa CPU block. (I did remove one that it came with initially but looks like there was a second one under it) Very amateur mistake on my part and I'm glad it didn't melt and get stuck onto the CPU block. I removed the Film, cleaned up the block and CPU with Arcticlean and now everything is working great. My current temps are:

[​IMG]
    It dropped almost 13-C Which is awesome . Thanks Again everyone.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2012
  5. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'm actually amazed it cooled at all with a chunk of plastic in the way, not matter how thin.

6. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

I think you might be able to get a little more off your temps of you drop your Vcore a bit.

Just to compare I have mine at 3.8ghz at 1.25v with ht on.
    My idle temps are 28-33c with ambient of 19c

7. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

From the OP, I don't think he can lower his vcore.

8. cillerbee

Yea I'm surprised it didn't melt or burn into the CPU block. Maybe the thermal grease kept it intact ? I used Arctic 5 Polysynthetic Silver Compound.

I did try to decrease the Voltage but I think i got a bad bin I tried several different configs from my own to various others on forums suggested to me to hit 3.8-3.9 GHz while stable under 100% load on Prime95 and 1.392 was the lowest I could manage.

If you guys have any other configs, I'd he happy to give it a try.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2012
  9. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

what are all the bios settings at?