1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors if this does not encorage people to slow down...

Discussion in 'General' started by samuelellis, 21 Mar 2004.

1. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

By the same reasoning WTF was the kid doing running out in front of a car, regardless if the car was travelling at 45 or 10 mph.

I really didn't want to get drawn into this argument, but here's my opinion.

Speeding is illegal, and you shouldn't do it. So is underage drinking, but I bet the majority of you have done it. There also appears to be a vast number of users on the board who smoke pot. Urm which despite the unclear new laws is still illegal. Yet there are those that still do all of these things. But as soon as anyone mentions drivers speeding, everyone seems outraged that anyone would dare break the speed limit whether it's caused by an innocent momentry lapse of concentration or whether it is done on purpose.

While I know that speeding is illegal and inapropriate speeding can be dangerous to myself and other road users. I still do it, (although by my own opinion I'd say I do it fairly sensibly). In 30 mph zones I do up to 35, (providing there are no schools or houses / playgrounds etc about). 40 zones (up to 50 again, depends where & whats about). 60 zones up to 75 (obvious slow down in advance of turnings and roundabouts, winding country lanes etc). 70 I'll do about 90 (to be going 90 I'll normally be in the outside lane). On the odd occassion i'll do up to 100, but find that it wastes fuel, so I normally only do that sort of speed if the motorway is clear and I'm overtaking). I have done 120 before on the motorway, but didn't feel comfortable at that speed so I don't do it.

Although speeding is illegal (and anything illegal isn't right regardless of the situation). It's something that I choose to do occasionally and I will face the consequences of my actions and it's because of not wanting to cause any problems I don't speed significantly. The only accidents i've had have been within the speed limit, once in reverse and once with someone pulling out in front of me because she looked, but didn't see.

Before anyone argues that I would feel differently if a member of my own family had died due to a road accident, they would be wrong, as I have lost an aunt and a friend due to seperate accidents (one involving a speeding motorist doing aprox 50 in a 30).

2. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Yes.

To explain my answer which may seem cold or heartless to some people...
    although I don't believe that our lives are all 'mapped' out etc, I do believe that when it's 'your' time to die, then you die. I am not one to feel bad or guilty or sad if someone dies, everyone will, and everyone has their time that it will happen, so, if for this example I was doing 120mph and my mate died - it was his time to & not mine - therefore even if we were walking in the street, he would have died some other way, etc etc, this is getting too long winded, I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2004
  3. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Who is going to buy a T5 then? :D

4. Sord_Fish

Sord_Fish What's a Dremel?

Some time speeding a bit can help...
    mum was driving normal speed on m55 -> m6 bit and a truck just drove into us becasue he didnt see use as we were in his "blind spot"
    was a very scary accident:waah:

pic1
    pic2

Last edited: 5 Apr 2004
  5. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

Thank god i dont drive

6. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Well my opinion about speeding is that if you want to drive fast go to a drag strip or a track and nock yourself out. I mayself like speed but Ive never driven faster than trafic or ever will because its on my conciousenes, I dont want to be some 1s reason to die or even get a scratch. My motto when im driving is I have to get from point a to b safely. If I want to go speeding ill go where it is encuraged (race track).

Werll thats all I have to say about that.

7. kenshin

kenshin Banned

is it just me or do the pictures not work anymore?

8. Slick13

Slick13 What's a Dremel?

i think this thread should be left to die it has been covered multiple times before and in the end ppl just end up getting infuriated and then slaggin each other off.

here is the old link to put your 5cents into if felt that you need to.

Speeding

9. ThrrrpT

ThrrrpT What's a Dremel?

Tags: