1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics ignition switch?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by crules1111, 27 Oct 2003.

1. crules1111

crules1111 What's a Dremel?

does anyone know if the average vehicle ignition switch is momentary? i'd like to use one for my power switch, but not if i have to switch it on and then back off. ideally it would turn on when you turn the switch all the way, stay on in the "accessory" position, and turn off in the..."off" position...hehe.
    thx

2. LCDNinja

LCDNinja What's a Dremel?

You can use an ignition switch for this purpose. You'd just have to figure out which terminals on the back are activated with the key in which position. There should be a terminal for accessories, a terminal for the starter, and the terminal for voltage out when the key is turned. So you just turn the key to on, and use a multimeter to find out which is which

3. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

No, a car's keyswitch is not momentary. It's fairly evident because a momentary switch would have the key sping back into its default position. Plus, I think it'd be just about impossible to make a 4PST-NO keyswitch.

4. asfd

asfd What's a Dremel?

maybe you could wire the power button to the starter wires? i'm not sure (i'm a real noob)

5. LCDNinja

LCDNinja What's a Dremel?

You have to have a wire from the start wire connected to the wire for the accessories, then you have to have a wire running from that to the main power wire. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you hold the key in the start position, and use a multimeter, you can find out which terminal gives power to the starter. Then you leave the key in on, and find out which terminals give power to the accessories and general power. There should be 3 terminals. You wire these 3 together and have a wire running to ground, and to your computer power, then your computer will start when you put it to start, and turn off when you turn the key to off.

I know this because I just had to hotwire my car because the ignition switch went bad :D