1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ikea Launch-Opening Cut Short After Stabbing

Discussion in 'Serious' started by jezmck, 10 Feb 2005.

1. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

2. logan

logan flashback!

3. Carbon

Carbon Banned

nevermind

4. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Moved to news and serious discussion... and yes, while the stabbing was actually unrelated many other people went to hospital in related events!

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Why won't Ikea open a store in or near Peterborough? I have to travel to Northampton to get some Swedish goodness.

6. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

note that that has been added/amended in the BBC article since I posted.

7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Really? where's the IKEA in Northampton? I think I'd remember seeing one around the town... Do you mean Nottingham? ;)

8. logan

logan flashback!

fair enough.

I have to travel to leeds/bradford or nottigham if i want anything. But we've got a bloomin massive Ikea distribution centre about 10 mins from my flat. now that's annoying!

maybe if i order online.... oh hang on. you can't! bah!

9. kenco_uk

umm....

yes
    :blush:

10. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

I own a house right round the corner from there... rough little area, probably the only place you can get a 1 bed flat sub 100k in london. IKEA will make a killing, although I expect half of the stock will just "walk out on it's own".

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If they had a better website and made it easier to order stuff online noone would have an excuse. It would save Ikea money cause they wouldnt have to build as many stores and save people money in travel etc and stop this "ikea madness" in trying to get into a store.

12. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

And it's not just Ikea's store in London that had these sort of problems, the BBC reports that the same thing happened in a Saudi Arabia Ikea.

A stampede of hundreds of shoppers in western Saudi Arabia has left at least three people crushed to death.

A Saudi man and a Pakistani man were among those killed, officials in the port city of Jeddah said.

The incident occurred after shoppers rushed into a branch of Ikea to claim a limited number of credit vouchers being offered to the public.

More than 8,000 people had gathered near the store for the $150 vouchers, some of them having camped overnight.

13. Risky

Risky Modder

So presumably they should charge more, the, um not greedy enough, capitalist, um Swedes?

Of course he could have said "...they should have know my constituents couldn't stand in line without fighting"

14. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I agree with Bindi, if they made items available online they'd be making more of on arm and a leg than they already are...they'd probably start to build a human anatomy :worried:

<A88>

15. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Because there are about 5 Ikea stores within a 100 mile radius of Peterborough. Probably the same reason they built one of their main distribution centres here. If they built another store in Peterborough it would just take business away from the other stores and not generate any extra revenue. There is a reason why the company is growing at an alarming rate.

like you said.. you travel to another one to get your stuff. A shortish car jouney isn't going to stop you getting your flat-packed goodies.

Shame they charge an extortionate amount for delivery.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Aint that the truth. Greed rules all. People didnt care if others had babies or whatever (why do people bring babies to a midnight opening anyway??), human nature disgusts me sometimes.

"I dont care if i kill people to get my £45 fake leather ikea sofa! It doesnt matter if there's over 2000 people queing for only 70 of them.."

17. ajiKaBooM!

ajiKaBooM! What's a Dremel?

I got a mate who works in that very store. Damn there bargains were too cheap - £40 for a leather sofa. gotta be kiddin me!

he felt sorry for the children :waah:

18. kenco_uk

Hmm okay, so why has London got four stores?

And yes, it's a 100 mile round trip (shortish?). Tough cheese if there's a screw missing, eh?

There's absolutely bugger all in East Anglia/Midlands.