1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant I'll never lend my flat mate anything again, ever!

Discussion in 'General' started by Behemoth, 14 Dec 2017.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Sorry for a rant but feeling I need to sound off somewhere so thought here was a good a place any.

I let one of my flat mates some months ago borrow a mouse as his had died and he couldn't afford to replace it so I let him use my trusty never failed me Logitech MX518. It was in absolute mint condition.

A week or so ago he hands it me back as a few months back he had bought himself a Rocat gaming mouse of some description. Well when I say he hands it me back he puts it in my room on my arm chair. No big deal, I've got it back. To be honest I'd forgotten he had it.

Anyway I need a mouse for a little project this evening and think "Ahh great I got my MX518 back, perfect" so I put my hand on it and its, well sticky.

On closer inspection I then notice that the scroll wheel is caked in a brown muck, and the scroll wheel won't rotate either. Well not without a fight anyway. The grips on the sides are as sticky as the top and its scratched to hell.

I've tried cleaning it. Its still sticky. I've sprayed it with WD40 as that usually gets all sorts of muck and grime off and nope its really not shifting.

He's the sort of chap if he lends you something he expects it back in pristine condition and if I have used any of his stuff (not very often) its always given back in the same condition it was when I borrowed it.

Not wishing to cause an atmosphere at home over it but grrr I shudder to think what he's been doing with it and where its been. I'm half tempted to bin it as I feel if I touch it again I'll catch something incurable.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Mention it. You won't cause an atmosphere, he already has by treating your generousity so disrespectfully.

Seriously, not sure how he can just leave it on your chair without saying anything about its condition. Bang out of order.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

If you have spare feet then taking it apart for a proper clean will solve the yuk problem but certainly take him to task about it's condition he must be well aware that he is, as already stated, out of I order for returning the mouse in a crappy condition.

4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

This kind of stuff needs to be brought up - otherwise an atmosphere will start to generate through resentment.

It was the same when my missus was in a shared house when she was at uni, someone kept using everyone else's cooking stuff and not cleaning up after - Her and one of the other housemates were all "we don't want to make it awkward", but then started hiding pots and pans... Why make life inconvenient for yourself because someone else is being a dick?!

I eventually convinced her to leave a note with a polite message saying something along the lines of "I don't mind people using my stuff, as long as it's cleaned up and ready for me to use it when I need it", the culprit ended up knocking on her door that evening and apologising - he was so green to real life he didn't even realise that he needed his own stuff when living away from home and assumed everything in the house was free game :duh:

5. Behemoth

Well mention it this morning I did. He wasn't very happy but I did point out that I was doing him a favor in helping him out and the least he could have done is given it back to me in good order like he has expected me to if it was something of his. He did then grumble an apology and has offered to buy a replacement as the MX518 has now been binned as when I cracked it open last night I found some kind of weird sticky substance inside it along with some hair which looked remarkably like pubic hair.

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I was not aware of any mice having force feedback as a feature. Interesting...

7. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Tbh this was the conclusion I was expecting from the first page. At least someone had a happy ending though!

8. Behemoth

Tell me about it, I don't want to know what he was doing with it.

It's all resolved, I've no idea what I'm going to end up with so long as its comparable to what I had I don't really mind in all honesty, its just giving it back and not saying anything that got me.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Aye, making the point is worth more tbh.

Maybe they kept quiet because it sounds like they tried to mate with it. :eek::)

Behemoth likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

"neither a borrower or lender be". I had to learn that phrase the hard way. If I don't want something I will give it away. If I do? I won't and I won't lend it to any one either. I baby my items and cherish my possessions, others don't see them the same way.

I would,however, definitely make him replace/pay for it. One thing I can't stand is filth.

11. Behemoth

I don't like filth either. I can cope with people being un tidy. I'm not known for being tidy but I draw the line at filth.

He's given me £35 cash to get whatever I want with. Looking at the G300s as thats pretty close to the MX518.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  12. silk186

silk186 Derp

I would look at either the Logitech G403 or SteelSeries Rival 310.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If it helps, Currys have the G502 on special for £37.49

Behemoth likes this.
  14. Behemoth

Funnily enough I've got one reserved for me to collect tomorrow :)

IanW likes this.