1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks im a n00b [smoothwall - ahh]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neuro, 2 Mar 2002.

1. neuro

neuro What's a Dremel?

ok - i tried to setup smoothwall but fail miserably. any one who has setup smoothwall on a cable connection (im with blueyonder) please, i need help or tuturials on how to set it up. i mean word for word bcoz i completly suk!

for the love of god....

2. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

whats smoothwall?

3. ChriX

ChriX ^

Smoothwall is a linux based internet firewall OS thingy. I've been using it since the start of this year - its great!

Sorry, I cant help you with setting it up for cable cos im on 56k (god help me) :(

I shall move this thread to the Networkin' Forum, because you should get more attention there :)

4. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

Sorry i can't help much...but i heard it was easy to setup, even if you have no experience of linux. I may try soon, when i get a spare pc:D I looked on the smoothwall site, abd there are some pdfs that go through what to do.
    When you say you failed when did you fail?

Charlie

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

The way that I would do it, and have done it, is to install 2 network cards into the main system (either 3 com or a realtek based card is garaunteed to work)

U need to set one card (the one connected to the cable modem) as the red network...

and the other card (your connection to your hub/switch), to your green network.

u need to leave the red network card to get its IP automatically, and you need to set the green card to something like 192.168.1.1, and enable DHCP so that it can assign IP addresses from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100, and give a lease time of say, 120 minutes, this means that it checks that the node is still there every 2 hours :)

This is about all the setting you need to do on the actual server....

Somewhere along the line you need to setup 3 account passwords, the first two will be used when you are sitting infront of the server... the third is for daily maintenance, known as the admin account.... you control this one from your browser on your own computer...

next you need to goto your browser... and type the following in your address bar:

https://192.168.1.1:445/

(assuming that is what you chose for your servers IP address)

this will bring you to an easy to use browser based configuration... where you can set your webcache, firewall settings, etc

hope this helps a bit :)

6. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

as the ppl in #smoothwall told them when i asked...

"RTFM"

shortly followed by

*** Mode change "+b *!*mrplow@*.btopenworld.com" for channel #smoothwall by some_chump

:rolleyes:

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

hahahahaha! :D

8. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

Biggie : Is it really that easy?:confused:

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Well I just RTFM before installing, and the rest was self explainatory :rolleyes:

What I have done is summed up the basic outlines as to how to do it...

10. neuro

neuro What's a Dremel?

biggie - i done pretty much every thing u sed, but the browser just wasn't findng anything. ill try again some other time.

11. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Right does smoothwall detect both cards correctly?
    If so what are the ips of the cards?
    From the smoothwall box can you ping an address such as here?
    You need to provide more info.

12. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

could anyone name some nic cards that run on a realtek chipset???

13. herbs

The cheap scan.co.uk ones do, or even better visit a computer fair and get some there. A lot of the cheap nics use realtek, just ask or open the box and read the instruction there you will find the information you need.
    IPCOP a spin of from smoothwall have a list of network cards that are supported.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2002
  14. felix the cat

cheers....ill have a look at the next fair...

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

you either need some with a realtek chipset, or get some old 3coms (like I did) and it should work.... smoothwall is very easy to setup, if you have compatible hardware ;)

16. felix the cat

well ive dug my old box out, p166 96mb ram 1gb hdd, put in my two dlink cards that are running my win2k server, but smoothwall didnt like em....so i went back to my old server, but id still like to use smoothwall....

so next time at a computer fair ill have to find some realtek based ones as i cant find any on the net and the 3coms are a bit tooo expensive....

just out of interest, anyone done this with ntl cable???

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep ;)

Works fine, and Im doing a second installation over the summer.... of all the networking gear, cos we are moving house :D

18. dakar

dakar What's a Dremel?

realtek chipset

Take a look at the D-Link 530 TX+ nic's. great cards that perform well..and at the right price (about $13US)

19. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Quick simple question:

Does smoothwall run on a machine with Linux installed, or is it a Linux O/S in its own right?

Be gentle with your answers please :p

20. herbs

It is linux just a stripped down version removing most of the baggage and unsecure stuff. Be forewarned it takes over the completed hd that you have in the machine. Personally I think ipcop is better.

Tags: