1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior New Member

just read all of this thread from the start. would have to say it's certainly a very informing & encouraging read.

I'm studying mech. engineering (with a second major in motorsport) here in Aus. Just finished my first year and enjoying it, though the theory sucks, but then again that's what separates a mechanic from an engineer i guess :rolleyes:

Fortunately, my uni is part of the formula SAE competition, and i can fiddle with anything i please down in the workshop (im heading up exhaust this year, not bad for a first year eh? :D). My sig has the link for our page if anyone wants to check it out. Oh, and we don't have a mrs GOO to deal with either! :hehe:

Anyho, looking forward to your next update. :thumb:

2. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Yep, it will definitely never be quick enough for people watching this thread, I'm sure someone's already getting antsy waiting :hehe: As Bindi said, it takes how long it takes, and as long as we get photos as and when you have them we'll all be greatful for them :D

3. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

i've been watching since the start... and every update is almost orgasmic :naughty: lol

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Active Member

OOooh, good stuff GOO! Exciting! :D

5. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

It should be, but I guarantee it won't :p

6. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Nothing to do with cars is ever as simple as it 'should be'. I've just spent two weeks doing a job that the haynes manual says 'should' take two hours.

7. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

No, it never is.
    You'd think that something simple like putting on the gaiter for the handbrake lever would be easy, and a quick ten minute job.
    But noo, it isn't. Because the leather gaiter was:
    1) Too big
    2) The complete wrong shape
    3)Jamming in the locking mechanism of the lever
    It was also blocking the handbrake light switch, so we had to figure out a way to stick the gaiter down/make a barrier thing to stop it from jamming the mechanism.
    Total time? 1.5 hours :(

8. Fozz

Fozz New Member

Mr Goo,

Well done on a awesome writeup, very detailed and the quality of finish is second to none, very impressive.

It's very good to see someone else taking time out to ensure all the internal parts are spot on and clean also.

You mention earlier in the thread the fact you doubt this engine will give you drawdropping performance which is where I may be able to lend a hand.

The stock M20B25 phase one engine was the better of the two as it has the higher C/R but even so will not make much more than 170bhp on stock management, the later lumps struggled to see 165bhp. From the pics I have seen I'm thinking you have the early engine. A quick and cheap method of upping it slightly would be to add the VR pickup and run the later management which should give a healthy increase of a few ponies.
    Ontop of that a Big bore TB can be added and also a chip ( e30zone wild one ) which combined will give you a nice increase in all areas.

On top of that you have 6 branch manifolds, head work etc etc but for real power there is only one way :D

I hope I'm not repeating info you are already aware of and hope it's usefull, if I can help with any other questions please feel free to ask away!

hth, Mark.

9. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Thanks for the complement, Fozz, and welcome to bit-tech.

Hmmm.... Tell me more... ;)

10. GreatOldOne

Well, it's D-Day. Or should that be C-Day? Had a phone call last night from the delivery driver, and the chassis should be here about mid-day today.

Excited? Me? Nah. :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Ok. maybe a little. ;)

11. ottzen

ottzen New Member

woohoo...read through the whole tread a couple of days ago, and I must say: You have done some delicious handywork there! By the looks of the engine I can't wait to see how the chassis, neigh the whole car turns out!
    Great Project!! :rock:
    Some beautiful day, in a parallel universe far away I might be able to pull that of, too :hehe:

Good luck today! :D

//ottzen

12. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

Can't wait to see what you are going to do with it and from what ive seen already its going to be really good.

Lets see the pics of the chassis after lunch :D

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

:D I can't believe I'm so excited - I'm probably never going to see the thing. :lol:

14. Brooxy

Brooxy Like a boss (but not a boss)

You best put pics up of the chassis as soon as it gets to you. We need more eye candy!!!

15. customh

customh conflagration.

i can't wait for the notification email...

16. dom_

dom_ --->

pictures please

thank you

:D!

17. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Can't wait to see it :D

18. speedfreek

speedfreek New Member

Come on, it it there yet?

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

He's probably still playing with all the bits tbh. :p

20. GreatOldOne

Slight delay in posting pics - I had to go out with the lads to celebrate. I'm sure you understand. ;)

Any how - here's the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The two guys in the pics are my mates Iain and Nathan - they came to help off load and piss about help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't think I need any other bits. It'll be OK like this.... ;)

Once we had got the chassis inside and on some stands, we wiped it down (it had come up the motor way without a cover) to get rid of the road dirt.

We then got down to getting the first thing bolted in - the diff:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We aslo managed to get the bushes set into the lower front wishbones (sorry, no pics yet), but by then we where all getting very hungry (and thirsty) - so we called it a day and decamped to the pub.

I'm very chuffed so far - bolting the first thing into the chassis was a huge milestone. And even if you're not going to see it on a day to day basis, I think the diff looks fab in place.

I think the next job will be to put the rear suspensions arms in. I also have to paint up the modified front struts and rear springs. Happy days! :D

Last edited: 19 Jun 2008